PDA

View Full Version : Another 250es adventure....

Homeless Dave
10-27-2019, 08:27 PM
This weekend I received another big red. It is the second 1987 that I have recived, but this one had no rear axel, front wheel, fenders or most of the wiring that belongs on the front. It sat in a barn for the past 20 years with no carb or spark plug in it. I put a wrench on the the crankshaft bolt and it turned over easy, much to my surprise. The kickstarter would not grab often, so the I pulled the clutch side case off and determined that the one way bearing was bad. Removed engine from the frame to tear into it more. The bore is like new, has cross hatch easily visible and no ring ridge. Piston and cam had no scoring. I think it may have been rebuilt before it got to be a parts machine , because the frame is broke in a few places and the rear rack it totally destroyed. Now comes in the 85250es with no front forks, it has good spark and I have a good front end for it, but it was seized when I got it but after freeing it up, has no compresion. So I'm taking the top end from the 87 for the 85 to get a decent big red. Feel kinda bad parting an 87, but it's Will allow another trike to keep going.260452260453

350for350
10-28-2019, 08:43 PM
It sounds like it may have had a very hard life before you got it. As sad as it may be, sometimes it's just not worth the trouble to fix up even though it's a 1987. The bad frame makes it pretty expensive unless you have access to a lot of parts trikes.