PDA

View Full Version : 84 200X rebuild question about reliability or pre mature failure

Fratolicious
09-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Hey all,

My 84 200x finally has had enough and is ready for a rebuild. I want some more power and have been inquiring about having the bore cleaned up and add a Weisco 10.25.1 Piston matched with a Web 389a cam. I talked with the gentlemen at G&H Atv and he didn't recommend me going with a higher compression piston stating that due to the air cooling I will have a machine that won't last or fail way sooner than normal.

What are your thoughts about this? I do trail riding mostly, will this effect me negatively?

This is my first rebuild and don't want to make a mistake but if I'm going to rebuild the motor I want some more power. Plus it's the time to do it from a "Do not tick of the wife" stand point. :)

I'd appreciate some input from you experienced 3 wheeler folks.

Thanks,
Frato

shortline10
09-16-2019, 04:41 PM
The upgrades your talking about won’t hurt reliability .

yaegerb
09-16-2019, 07:08 PM
X2, that combination is a really sound option.

Fratolicious
09-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Thanks! I didn't think so but was told otherwise.

Snazzy93
09-27-2019, 04:22 PM
You'll be fine anywhere below 11:1. Going with a slightly larger cam will probably actually help. (Would need to know duration and overlap to be 100% sure.) Your biggest issue jumping up in compression is going to be needing to up octane rating. At 10.25 :1, you shouldn't have any issue so long as your running at least 93. Stock they are 9.6:1, so you aren't taking a very big jump. As far as reliability goes, so long as the build is done well, it should last just as long as the stock setup. It's not like your building an absolute power house.