PDA

View Full Version : New member suspended 200s

Fullsizechevy9
06-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Hey yall new member here from the deep south Baton rouge, Louisiana. First I would like to start off by saying I am honered to be part of such an awesome trike forum there is a wealth of knowledge to be had here. I have an 84 200s I am in love with the bike that being said I would like to keep it and make it fully suspended I work in a machine shop I can machine, weld, and fab everything I need such as the swingarm shock mounts basically anything have a full machine shop here but I really hate to have to tear my bike down and not be able to ride for an extended period of time. So I guess my question is does anybody that has built their own swingarm have any dimentions they would be willing to share with me. Sure I could tear it down and with some trial and error figure it out but figured I would ask first before I did all that. I have searched the internet and have not ran across any. All help would be appreciated. I am going to be using chromoly and tig welding it with er70s-2 filler rods and am shooting for about a +2 swingarm. I will also be using the 450 hubs for a little wider stance and better options for rims and tires also a complete teardown to frame, better clutch and a complete top end rebuild. Might spice the motor up a little with a higher compression piston, mild cam, a not to obnoxius exhaust, and a little port matching and polishing. This is an awesome site I am on here almost everyday searching through the archives trying to learn all I can about these pieces of history I am going more for a restomod build make it look a little more modern. Thanks guys yall really seem like a great group of people full of knowledge and I hope to learn alot more from you guys.

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Whats the best way to post a pic of my bike? Would i need to use a image hosting site? When i click the picture button it says add url. Thanks Trey

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Ok i added a photo in my album of the bike

shortline10
06-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Would be a whole lot easier to just buy a rolling chassis from a 83-85 Atc200x and put your motor in it .

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 12:00 PM
What would be a good shock to use? I have a 200e frame i could use for the axle carrier mounting plates width part of the swingarm. Also if i understand right i need to get the swingarm mounts as inline with the front sprocket as i can for chain tension purposes but can also use a chain tensioner if i dont get it perfect.

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
I plan on doing that eventually. I really want to do a 250r or 350 build later down the line when i find the right deal but i plan on keeping this bike and its a rough ride in the cane fields. Plus i enjoy working on stuff and have a full machine shop at my disposal so why not you know. Heck i may even be able to find some steel tubing around here that will work doesnt have to be chromoly im not that worried about weight savings. It took me awhile just to find this bike without paying a fortune having somthing shipped. I paid 200$ for it had a new carb all i did was clean the tank change the oil air filter spark plug adjusted the carb and she runs like a top good compression doesnt smoke seems like it wasnt rode hard they claimed to use it only to go to the deer stand and back.

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Once i do this bike and get some good dimentions to go by and come out with a quality product i may be able to start making a bolt on or weld on kit for whoever is interested i could source everyrhing build the swingarm make it a package not interested in making a killing i would make it as affordable as possible i just enjoy machine work welding and fabricating.

shortline10
06-24-2019, 05:02 PM
You could look for an old school PK bolt on Suspention kit and just copy it .
They seem to pop up on eBay every now and then .

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Good idea ill keep an eye out might make a few kits and put them on fleabay and see how they do. Would you happen to know what a good shock to use would be? Im thinking if i do make some bolt on would be the way to go most individuals are capable of installing that and maybe do weld ons per request.

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Would xl185s rear suspension shocks work can get them pretty cheap

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 05:30 PM
They are around 15.5 inches long i dont see a rating on them though

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Scratch that idea idk what i was thinking. What shock do you thik would work though?

shortline10
06-24-2019, 05:36 PM
A shock off an old trx200 or fourtrax 300 would probably be a better choice .

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 08:50 PM
10 4 thanks i will start looking for a decent one might just buy new so i know what i got

Fullsizechevy9
06-24-2019, 08:56 PM
What about fenders i would honestly like some white plastics without having to paint them if possible i dont have any problems modifying to make them fit. Any you can think of might work? Im going to start getting things together for a complete build. I seen a guy make banshee plastics work didnt look bad but finding a white tank to work is what im.thinking the problem will be. I know its just a 200s but i plan on keeping it so might as well trick it out it will be a good first build going for a sporty look. After i do this build i will be on the lookout for a 250 or 350.

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 07:29 AM
No but i know troy i crawfish near his store in pierre part i get my bait there CHOOT EM

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Does anyone think if i machined some brass bushings for the swingarm that would work pretty good or would i have to go with bearings? Maybe some type of harder plastic like nylatron? I have brass laying around. We use brass as bushings for slow speed gear shafts in valves and what not seems to last awhile.

ironchop
06-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Does anyone think if i machined some brass bushings for the swingarm that would work pretty good or would i have to go with bearings? Maybe some type of harder plastic like nylatron? I have brass laying around. We use brass as bushings for slow speed gear shafts in valves and what not seems to last awhile.Alot of us use Delrin swingarm bushings.

A couple of people here offer them for sale. I bought one set and machined my own second set on my 86R

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
06-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Post number 4 from shortline is the best or spend the coin for a bolt on aftermarket kit or just get a 250r/350x. Machine shop or no, theres No sense in chopping up a perfectly good hard tail frame when you have so many other options.

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 12:37 PM
What material did you use for bushings?

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Thats definately in the works when i find the right 250 or 350 within a few hours from me for now i really want to have suspension on this bike its going to be a rider and its my first 3 wheeler i would like to keep it and be able to ride it without beating my back up to bad. Not to mention i just enjoy working on stuff will give me a project until i find the next project and i will have a trike to ride while working on the 250 or 350 project. If i find a good aftermarket kit that would be nice so i can use it as a pattern to get dimensions from so i can build a few kits for anybody interested.

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 12:44 PM
I have a friend with a good 200x shock may see if i can make that work he is giving it to me

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Also i have a 200e i think it is for a parts motor would i be able to use the bottom end so i could have electric start if i could figure out a place for battery and how to wire it? Really dont like the hi/lo handle but i will deal with it for electric start.

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Or perhaps just use the e frame and have a little longer wheelbase i plan on useing wider hubs amd wider offset rims with a +2 swingarm im.thinking the longer wheelbase would be nice

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 03:00 PM
I will def be on the lookout for the right deal dont want to pay 2000 for one or have to drive out of state to get one. I want a fixer upper somthing i will.be proud of when im done with it. Im hooked i dont think there is any getting out of it for me i enjoy being the oddball i rarely see any around here anymore. Im a pretty damn good machinist and pretty decent at fab work i think i could produce a quality product that performs pretty good might be a little trial and error but thats all part of the game. I look forward to starting a build for everybody to follow this really is a great site i just have to figure out how to post pics

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Im going to put one of those racing number plates on the front my number is 69

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 03:43 PM
3 wheelers are higher than giraffe..... around here they have a 85 125 listed for 2500$ and a big red for 3800$ im just waiting on the right deal for a 250 or 350 thats y im going to go ahead amd start this build and save some more coin in the meantime could take a year or more before the right deal comes along.

knappyfeet
06-25-2019, 06:22 PM
This ain't real

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Go look in the classifieds louisianasportsman.com they must think their gold around here they look to be all original in pretty dam good shape but shat thats high now they dont all go that high but i have seen many like that i will.just have to.wait for the right deal would rather it be local so i can.check the bike out but if it comes down to it i will have to see about having one shipped to me

Fullsizechevy9
06-25-2019, 07:43 PM
I do see a roller 200x on fleabay for almost 400$ but by time i buy that have it shipped i probably can make my s suspended and be happy with that until i find a good 250r or 350x