PDA

View Full Version : And I introduce...."sleeper"

yaegerb
05-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Like a fat kid to a wedding cake I can't seem to keep to ever satiate my need for more ATC's......
I have never owned an 86 and when I saw one up for sale from BKM I had to have it. Per usual, Bryan is a stand up guy and said if I buy the parts he would throw them on. In April, I ventured north to pick up the beast and this past weekend I finished putting on the last of the decals. Overall, its very sound and all there. The only issues are the usual lower sprocket cover boss is snapped and the drain plug weeps a spot of oil here and there. I have a front headlight guard coming in from dirtcrasher (DC I will post pics on this thread for fitment) and I need to get a whole tail light assembly. If you have one for sale, shoot me a PM. The forks and rear shock were valved for my weight and completely rebuilt by Selvy. I rebuild/powdered the calipers, masters and ordered a rear answer silencer to match the expansion chamber. This winter it will be taken completely down. The cases will go to Selvy for some much needed love and I will have a big surprise coming back with the cases. I am shooting for a stroked ~270 and looking for about 57HP. It will be tough but achievable. More to come and this is how she sits today.

Red Rider
05-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Looks like a nice solid R to start with. Good luck.

Aulbaugh
05-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Looking forward to this build!

350for350
05-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Another nice build, Brendan. I'm sure it will be even nicer after you get through with it this winter.

yaegerb
06-21-2019, 05:16 PM
This post is to display Dirtcrashers quality 3rd gen 250R headlight guard. I got it on a couple weeks ago after powdering it super mirror red. I think its a fantastic piece and thanks DC!

ps2fixer
06-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Wow, that headlight guard looks like it was made by Hondaline.

Subbing to follow the build.

ironchop
06-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Not sure how I missed the original post but wow, nice ride!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Dirtcrasher
06-24-2019, 02:55 PM
WOW! what a great 86 trike to start with!!

I'm so glad you bought a guard from me, I wish more people could see them in person.

They take quite a bit of time to make, but once they're powder coated, they just look awesome and the powder makes it look like it has a smooth plastic coating.

I have a couple builds going on myself, but I just don't have the room to store them...

Maybe next year I'll build a big shop, Bitcoin has been nothing short of AMAZING this year, 70% profit in 6 months!!

yaegerb
06-24-2019, 03:00 PM
WOW! what a great 86 trike to start with!!

I'm so glad you bought a guard from me, I wish more people could see them in person.

They take quite a bit of time to make, but once they're powder coated, they just look awesome and the powder makes it look like it has a smooth plastic coating.

I have a couple builds going on myself, but I just don't have the room to store them...

Maybe next year I'll build a big shop, Bitcoin has been nothing short of AMAZING this year, 70% profit in 6 months!!

This will be the 3rd headlight guard I have installed. The other two were Hondaline OEM and I will tell you this one fit with no “tweaking” as the others needed a bit to fit correctly. Again, great product!

Gabriel
06-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Beautiful machine...but it's hard to make a 250R a sleeper....Even bone stock, if it don't kick your azz it's gonna make you redline the whole way to beat it.
57Hp though...jeez. Would love to see you ease up on some of these late model quad goobers. The late model CRaptors will be ruining their undies!

yaegerb
07-02-2020, 11:59 AM
Earlier this spring an oil leak developed on my 86 ATC 250R. Upon inspection I found that someone had previously installed a thread cutting automotive bolt and the cases had cracked. DON'T EVER INSTALL ONE OF THESE BOLTS! The aluminum cases can't take a 7/8 thread cutter and it ends up cracking the brittle aluminum. if you have an oil leak or your oil bolt is stripped do yourself a favor and time-sert it. After noticing this mess I decided to pull the motor and go through it for upgrades and general maintenance. Since then I decided to strip the frame down and install a gusset kit due to the amount of HP I will be running through the motor and the style of riding the bike will see, which will generally be MX/Flattrack and some dunes. I also scored an 88 trx swingarm which is ~1.5" shorter so that I could get the power underneath my arse for better hookup. A few weeks ago I welded in the gusset kit from Rob Wicks and is now back from powder. I also just got my tank back from Doug Snyder. He does an excellent job polishing, plus the petcock and seals are all changed out. All that's left is to finish the motor up and drop everything in. Hoping to be finished by September or early October. Enjoy the pics.

this old rz
07-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Nice machine pretty slick.
Selvy has worked his magic on my friends 250R to the tune of, If I'm not mistaken 373 cc + 68 horsepower.
Took almost 2 years.....it passes my 421 Banshee in 3rd gear while he's doing a wheelie.... lol ��

Rob also built My Friends 86 Tecate, it's a custom KX cylinder Big bore with custom stroker crank I think to 345cc.
The first version was 375 cc's but shortly after completion the cylinder cracked in half... yep completely 100% in half vertically...lol. so they had to push the reset button...lol. My friend told him go big or go home so now they're ....not so big😆
He is now building a( reversed cylinder )
(dry clutched) Bansheee with T-Rex cylinders at 535 ccs hoping for a Dyno proven 120+ h.p.... Rob's been building his motors for the last decade.

yaegerb
07-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Nice machine pretty slick.
Selvy has worked his magic on my friends 250R to the tune of, If I'm not mistaken 373 cc + 68 horsepower.
Took almost 2 years.....it passes my 421 Banshee in 3rd gear while he's doing a wheelie.... lol ��

Rob also built My Friends 86 Tecate, it's a custom KX cylinder Big bore with custom stroker crank I think to 345cc.
The first version was 375 cc's but shortly after completion the cylinder cracked in half... yep completely 100% in half vertically...lol. so they had to push the reset button...lol. My friend told him go big or go home so now they're ....not so big��
He is now building a( reversed cylinder )
(dry clutched) Bansheee with T-Rex cylinders at 535 ccs hoping for a Dyno proven 120+ h.p.... Rob's been building his motors for the last decade.

He does some pretty fantastic work

BarnBoy
07-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Headlight guard looks great Steve does an awesome job from what ive seen.

Onetrackmind
07-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Beautiful build my man. That frame looks like candy! Mmm...candy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaegerb
07-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Since my spec bolt kit has come in I have been making quick progress with getting pieces and parts hooked back up. I decided to bead blast my radiators to see what they would look like and I really like the look (Thanks Red Rider for the inspiration). I should have a bunch of parts back from PC and Nickle over the coming weeks and I will start making some big gains on this project.

yaegerb
02-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Been a while since I updated the thread......

Got the 86 engine cases/Cylinder back from Rob Selvy over the past weekend and to say this is anything short of a Picasso, I would be lying. What we have here is one of the most extreme porting jobs you can get from Selvy. The cylinder starts life as an 88 OEM and goes through varies areas of massaging which produces the below result. You will also notice I am running case ports as can be seen with the epoxy on the cases and cylinder and finally on the bottom of the sleeve. The head was also completely re-welded, turned to his specifications and spark plug hole dropped .020". At the end of the day this will be a +4 stroker crank with extreme porting, tighter head and 276 cc's of pure 2 stroke enjoyment.

The pieces are getting wrapped up and going off to powder shortly. Engine should be back home in the frame in the coming months.

Aulbaugh
02-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Very impressive! Any other goodies for this build?

yaegerb
02-03-2021, 09:17 PM
Very impressive! Any other goodies for this build?

Oh there might be :)

Once I get the engine back in I will be updating with more pics.

MrConcdid
02-03-2021, 09:56 PM
I like it!

Onetrackmind
02-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Outstanding! I can't wait to see it brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaegerb
04-01-2022, 05:41 PM
Been quite a while since I have updated my posts. Bike is about 99% complete and below are some key pictures over the past year or so.

El Camexican
04-02-2022, 08:52 PM
I still can’t get over how deep the color on those rims came out, absolutely gorgeous.

So is there a particular brand of flip-flops you recommend for starting an engine like that?

yaegerb
04-04-2022, 04:02 PM
I still can’t get over how deep the color on those rims came out, absolutely gorgeous.

So is there a particular brand of flip-flops you recommend for starting an engine like that?

Glad you asked! I would recommend an adidas soccer slides or if you have deep pockets, feel free to try a pair of Olukai.

Aulbaugh
04-06-2022, 07:31 AM
Nice work as always YaegerB. The build turned out great! That motor is wicked.