PDA

View Full Version : Evil plans: Avatar come true?

Gabriel
04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
My avatar, I've loved that trike since I found it on the interwebz.

Well, by sheer dumb luck, I happened upon a Husqvarna today for near nothing. It doesn't run but is mostly there. Certainly everything needed to do a trike conversion.
Wonder how good a trike a 1987 Husqvarna XC 500 would make? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I'll get some pics of this behemoth up tomorrow....but if this were rebuilt and turned into a trike .......well, my 200ES (I finally have running right as of today) It'd make it look like a monkey phickin' a football.

Thoughts? I'm not for sure I can or will even try to, but when someone offers a Husqvarna for less than scrap metal price, you take it & shut up & smile.

Gabriel
05-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Missing a few parts and the swing arm is broken at the pivot point but if it were converted to a trike, you'd be tossing the swing arm anywho.
This is one of the last REAL Husqvarna's before KTM got involved. KTM is AWESOME, but they're NOT Husqvarna. This engine says made in Sweden on the head.

I gotta be honest to the point of looking like a puzzy......the idea of this thing is pretty scary. Were this engine running proper in JUST stock form, it is FAR beyond my ability to handle. This is a wicked BEAST. I need to pressure wash the engine but I think I saw some casting numbers on the block...can't be sure for all the grease and mud but I think the casting numbers are 666.

What I think would REALLY be cool is this engine on a Honda Pilot. Dayuuummm!!!!!

This is one of the tallest dirt bikes I have ever seen. I am 5'11" tall and the seat comes up to my sternum.

https://i.imgur.com/0D1vtof.jpg

kevin
05-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Looks pretty cool can't wait to see what you do with it!

Gabriel
05-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Play time? OOOOOOO!!!!!! Bone Saw is READY!!!! 3 minutes....3 minutes of.....PLAYTIME!

https://i.imgur.com/PINfjFM.jpg

Dirtcrasher
05-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Husky 500 2 stroke, HANG ON!!!!

Gabriel
05-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Husky 500 2 stroke, HANG ON!!!!

....if you can. LOL!

Jokes aside, I bet it was hard pulling sumbeeech when she was new.

yaegerb
05-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Good luck starting it. Had a friend with a 400 husky and it wouldn’t start until we drug it behind a truck. Those old models were very cold natured.

RubberSalt
05-01-2019, 05:39 PM
Another installment of "Play time with Gabriel"

I shoulda grabbed that username back when I signed up... lol

From one Gabriel to another. Your gonna have to bust out the intense math or begin fabricating, or both. Here's a few of my own monstrosities. Nothing is right, but they all do or did work.

25836225836325836425836525836625836725836825836925 8370258371258372258373258374

ps2fixer
05-01-2019, 05:43 PM
No direct experience with husky atvs/motorcycles, but I've heard they had tons of power.

Since you're thinking about making it a 3 wheeler, why not repair the swing arm, and adapt the wheel mount area to accept an axle carrier, like use a 300ex/400ex setup or something? That's the poor man's quick and dirty 2 to 3 wheel conversion. My dad cut a 370 suzuki enduro in half and welded on a rear section of a 3 wheeler and had a blast. No suspension in the rear, and it started off as some 5hp can't move it's self out of the way usa made 3 wheeler with basically a MTD riding mower rear axle. After the 370, the front tire rarely touched the ground lol. Too bad I was too young to really ride it, I got to putt around on it a couple times, but I was like 7 years old.

Seems like the main critical part you'd need is the right engine side cover, anything else major missing? General rule of thumb for any project, get the engine running, or since it's a 2 stroke, pop the cylinder off and see how it looks then focus on getting it to a running state. Then I'd personally say get the swing arm fixed and ride it a little to see if you like the power and such. If it's good, target the final gear ratio of the 3 wheeler layout similar to the bike's gear ratio with the large tire, or adjust as needed. Either case a 500cc 2 stroke 3 wheeler should be quite a monster.

If you build this and I ever show up at trike fest again, we will have to drag race on the drag strip against the machine I'm thinking about building. 350 big horn rotary valve 2 stroke based machine. Unless I run across a suitable 3 wheeler frame, I have an 87 350 warrior frame that would love an engine in it or maybe the 87 TRX250X frame. Doubt I'd beat ya, but the guy that sold me the bike claimed they could keep up with 500 series bikes pretty well. Maybe I should take my own advice and convert the bike frame to a 3 wheeler using a quad rear end/axle setup lol.

Any idea what stock HP rating was on that engine? I think around 1hp per 10cc is pretty reasonable, so guessing ~50hp+? I saw a dyno run of a 350 big horn putting out about 45hp, but I don't know what mods besides EFI kit it has. Bike I have was an ice racer so might have been ported, but otherwise is stock with a bunch of missing parts I don't really care about except the right seat for it. Shouldn't be hard to build one though :P.

Either case, good luck with the project.

barnett468
05-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Yeah, build that sucker. We need some more entertainment here, plus, nobody else has one.

Gabriel
05-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Yeah, build that sucker.

Gotta get some other things finished first but......I'm gonna HAVE to do something with it.

We need some more entertainment here.

Ain't been no body doing much around here as of late. Mostly just the one timers and Glamy exposing himself in a public place.

El Camexican
05-02-2019, 06:01 PM
I gotta be honest to the point of looking like a puzzy......the idea of this thing is pretty scary. Were this engine running proper in JUST stock form, it is FAR beyond my ability to handle. This is a wicked BEAST.

Don’t let that 500 sticker scare you . That engine probably doesn’t make much more power than a modern 250 smoker. It would probably be a great power plant for a trike in terms of the power band, but they were know to vibrate pretty hard. Good luck finding parts.

Gabriel
05-02-2019, 06:08 PM
That engine probably doesn’t make much more power than a modern 250 smoker. .

I won't argue, because I truely do not know.....but I find that very difficult to believe.

El Camexican
05-02-2019, 07:09 PM
I won't argue, because I truely do not know.....but I find that very difficult to believe.

A modern 250 has over 50hp at the rear wheels and 30+ pounds of torque. Some will pull from 1,000 to 7,000 rpm without any discernible hit. What do you figure that Husky made when it ran?

barnett468
05-02-2019, 10:42 PM
I'm thinking about building. 350 big horn rotary valve 2 stroke based machine. the guy that sold me the bike claimed they could keep up with 500 series bikes pretty well. Maybe I should take my own advice and convert the bike frame to a 3 wheeler using a quad rear end/axle setup lol.

I saw a dyno run of a 350 big horn putting out about 45hp, but I don't know what mods besides EFI kit it has.

In case you haven't seen the info on F5's below, you might find it interesting. I had an F5 back around 1975.

https://www.klemmvintage.com/bighorntech.htm

barnett468
05-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Oh, I can assure you they do, and I have the bruises from the baseball size chunks or earth they trench up with the rear wheels and hurl them conveniently directly at the riders behind them at warp speed.

I thought the chart below might be interesting to some. It is a dyno test of a 1978 YZ250 that was done back in 78, but my engine isn't much different so it's a reasonable comparison. The 78 put out 32 hp (corrected hp) at the rear wheel, and my bike is no more than around 36 with the Boyesen ports added. The 2000 Honda CR250 made a monsterous 46 hp at the rear wheel during one magazines test in 2000.

The YZ only made a lame 12 hp over the first 5000 rpm, after which it made 30 hp more over a 2000 rpm range. This light switch type power "curve" (which is actually a sudden power spike) is very similar to that of a full blown race built 1974 CR125, and this is exactly why my bike is so hard to ride. The 2000 Honda is a water col;ed, power valve engine, and it has a much smoother power delivery and much more power to deliver than mine does.

.................................................. ..........http://pulpmx.com/app/uploads/2017/09/csteel124_13.png

Here is a dyno comparison of all of the top 2000 model 250 2 strokes which shows how ridiculously linear the power curves are on all of them. The Honda still made around 43 hp in this test, and all but one of them made over 20 hp at 5000 rpm where mine only makes around 12 :lol:, which is why they can easily out accelerate me when exiting most turns and go farther and faster over the jumps that are immediately after a turn, and is why I have to hang it all out on the straights and when entering the turns, which I can assure you is a little hairy to do (at least for me at my age) on any bike, especially on a 38 year old one.

.................................................. .........https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/13/97701/s1200_Screenshot_2015_07_13_19_02_35.jpg

Here's a dyno of a 1981 YZ465 and it has almost as much power as your Husky.

"Dynamometer figures line up nicely with seat-of-the-pants impressions. The YZ465G has the most horsepower of any production motocrosser that's been on the Webco dyno. The YZ develops a whopping 41.92 rear-wheel horsepower at 7000 rpm, and its torque peak occurs at 6000 rpm where it makes 34.51 pounds-feet. This compares to the YZ400F's maximum power figure of 36.90 and torque peak of 29.10 pounds-feet, at 7000 rpm and 6500 rpm respectively. The nearest thing to the 465 is the Can-Am 370 MX-5, which produced 39.74 horsepower at 7000 rpm and 30.77 pounds-feet torque at 6500 rpm.

Beyond the issue of maximum output is power spread. The 465 makes colossal horsepower from 5000 ( 27.54) to 8000 rpm ( 29.36) ; in 500-rpm steps, here's the rough topography of the 465's high mountain range: 27.5, 34, 39.5, 41, 42, 38.5, 29.5 horsepower. Want to talk about bulldozer torque? At 3500 rpm, there's 23 pounds-feet of torque on tap, and almost 27 at 7500 rpm. The 465 has so much power at any meaningful engine speed that you could just about put the YZ into third gear, toss the shift lever away and still race the bike without undue hardship."

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/07/08/004_3_23722.jpg

yaegerb
05-02-2019, 11:53 PM
A modern 250 has over 50hp at the rear wheels and 30+ pounds of torque. Some will pull from 1,000 to 7,000 rpm without any discernible hit. What do you figure that Husky made when it ran?

Gabriel, lots of logic here....

RubberSalt
05-02-2019, 11:54 PM
The big bore stuff is definitely detuned. To much power and you'd loose traction once you hit the power band. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 10-20hp that wouldn't be hard to achieve in that old husky. Head work, port, carb.... and the hard part.. The pipe. The pipe would be the first thing in the list of mods if you ask me.

barnett468
05-03-2019, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 10-20hp that wouldn't be hard to achieve in that old husky. Head work, port, carb.... and the hard part.. The pipe. The pipe would be the first thing in the list of mods if you ask me.

There is 53.08hp @ 7022 rpm achievable on this dyno with a lot of mods on a 1987 Husky CR500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrzmrgfaeY

RubberSalt
05-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Is that a cr500 motor or the husky? Not familiar with husky names. 53hp at 7k isn't bad. Plenty of power.

barnett468
05-03-2019, 12:07 AM
ANOTHER POST TO MAKE A POST CORRECTION CUZ I AN'T GOTZ NO EDT BUTTONZ :cool:

oops...I posted some of the wrong bikes. I will find the hp info I have on some of the newer 4 stroke bikes and make another long post to correct the long incorrect post I just made. :lol:

barnett468
05-03-2019, 12:10 AM
Is that a cr500 motor or the husky? Not familiar with husky names. 53hp at 7k isn't bad. Plenty of power.

It is exactly what I posted, which is a 1987 Husky CR500. I guess they aren't too creative with names over there so they simply borrowed Honda's. :lol:

barnett468
05-03-2019, 12:24 AM

https://www.dirtrider.com/g00/3_c-7x78x78x78.ejsusjefs.dpn_/c-7NPSFQIFVT25x24iuuqtx3ax2fx2fx78x78x78.ejsusjefs.d pnx2ftjuftx2fejsusjefs.dpnx2fgjmftx2ftuzmftx2f766_ 2y_x2fqvcmjdx2fjnbhftx2f3120x2f12x2f3120-ivtrwbsob-gd-361-ezop-dibsu.kqhx3fjuplx3dJuNUCZ4x78x26gdx3d61x2c61x26j21 d.nbslx3djnbhf_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

ps2fixer
05-03-2019, 12:33 AM
In case you haven't seen the info on F5's below, you might find it interesting. I had an F5 back around 1975.

https://www.klemmvintage.com/bighorntech.htm

I'm pretty sure I saw that before, didn't read it too far before, lots of details there. My build would more or less just be a stock engine, maybe a few small mods to help acceleration like a lighter flywheel seems like a good idea, then again, it's kind of nice to be able to pop the clutch out and not stall when max speed/racing isn't a concern. No clue what's in the engine, so the start is to find out what I have and fix 2nd and 3rd gear which are worn out. All other gears sounded fine, but those two gears grumbled pretty bad. Haven't rode it because of that. I have 3 bikes, so ideally I should have the parts to get the engine up to spec.

It is exactly what I posted, which is a 1987 Husky CR500. I guess they aren't too creative with names over there so they simply borrowed Honda's. :lol:

Seems like my 50hp guess wasn't super far off. I figured with mods it should push 80-90hp though, but pretty little experience with 2 strokes, just what I've read about the ATC250R.

I wish there was more hp/torque curves for all machines. If I remember right, I think I read the big horn 350 made around 36hp stock and after mods 40-45hp. No clue how much bottom end torque would be lost with the mods, I really enjoy a low end torqey engine. I've always been a 4 stroke person, but this is the only 2 stroke I really like for an atv.

Just a quick google search netting me 46hp @ 6k rpm and peak torque 37.2 @ 6k rpm stock for the husky CR500, still a lot of power to work with =). Can't say if it's accurate numbers, but it's something.
Source: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/395549-husqvarna-500/

barnett468
05-03-2019, 01:26 AM
.My build would more or less just be a stock engine, maybe a few small mods to help acceleration like a lighter flywheel seems like a good idea, then again, it's kind of nice to be able to pop the clutch out and not stall when max speed/racing isn't a concern.

I have and fix 2nd and 3rd gear which are worn out.

...little experience with 2 strokes, just what I've read about the ATC250R.

I wish there was more hp/torque curves for all machines. If I remember right, I think I read the big horn 350 made around 36hp stock and after mods 40-45hp. No clue how much bottom end torque would be lost with the mods, I really enjoy a low end torqey engine. I've always been a 4 stroke person, but this is the only 2 stroke I really like for an atv.

Just a quick google search netting me 46hp @ 6k rpm and peak torque 37.2 @ 6k rpm stock for the husky CR500, still a lot of power to work with =). Can't say if it's accurate numbers, but it's something.
Source: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/395549-husqvarna-500/

I wouldn't lighten the stator on the F5 for your particular app. I did a lot of flywheel weight testing long before I worked at Kawi.

You might consider having the gears cryo treated to increase their life span since parts for these bikes are getting harder to find and more expensive. I just had the entire tans on my 1980 YZ250 cryo treated because it is a 1 year only model and some of the tranny parts no longer exist, so when the trans wears out, my $4,000.00 bike will be worth around $400.00.

And the atc250r makes less power than The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe! :cool:

Those numbers are fairly close, but as you may know, different dynos can produce different numbers. Irregardless, yeah, it will have way more power than most mortal men can ever fully use. As far as maximum brute power goes, that would be the KAWASAKI KX500. It had more power than any other production single cylinder 2 stroke ever made. I actually had to do some detonation testing on the 1986 Prototype KX500 when I worked at Kawi, and I don't mind saying that I thought it was outright frightening and seriously couldn't wait until the testing was over. There are simply no words that can suitably describ how fast this thing was and how hard it was for me to hold onto the bars when accelerating at wot. There is a guy that races one in the vintage races I race at and at one of the races I was in, he holeshot everyone from the far outside by around 2 bike lengths, and that was in around just a 60 yard long start. It was simply shocking. Strangely enough, the KX500's have now become collectors items.

Gabriel
05-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Yeah, well......I’d be happy just getting it running.

barnett468
05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Yeah, well......I’d be happy just getting it running.

Just pray that it has spark.

If you find it hard to kick over due to high compression, you can install a thicker head gasket and test that. Cometic can probably make one for you, however, that model may have less compression than the CR model, and if so, it shouldn't be that hard to kick with the exception that it is awkward because the kick starter is on the left side. My 74 400 Maico had the kicker on the left side and I hated starting that thing and would have to stand on the left side of the bike and kick it over with my right foot while holding the compression release lever down.

You can also but an ignition coil that will produce a hotter spark than the stock one for around $120.00 which should make it a little easier to start as well. I can post the site that carries them if you want.

ps2fixer
05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
If there's no limit on money/budget/time, you could also get a programmable CDI and retard the timing a ton for kick start speeds, so it sparks to help you turn the engine over faster. One of those CDI's is something like $140 or so though and probably a fun time getting it wired up right.

barnett468
05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Can you post dyno numbers when you`ve had beans .............Barn ?

This dyno test was after eating tasty HEINZ BEANS that were smothered in a in a savory Honey Baked Ham sauce....yum! Unfortunately I forgot to bring an extra pair of shorts.

.................................................. .....................................https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMY3NSAiCaKE1Zv7GxmeySdtVTx0CNp 9fyxLeQreMBv-QZ3rae

.............................https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/attachments/general-diesel-discussion/6632d1200110029-1000-hp-dyno.jpg

TexFest
05-05-2019, 08:43 PM
here's some guy on youtube with his on a dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrzmrgfaeY