PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC110 shifting-hi/low issue and a rattle

Usmoneylover
04-30-2019, 04:59 PM
I picked up a 1985 110 recently and got around to cleaning the carb and starting it today. Its having an issue with going into gear/shifting properly and also had an intermittent rattle that sounds really bad, but it doesnt do it consistently or all the time. I made a video in hope someone has seen or heard this before. Any advice welcome.
https://youtu.be/k-09kBDxqxE

DAM shop
04-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Make sure your hi/lo gear isn't stuck in between gears . Is that noise happening in neutral or do you have it in gear?

ATCKevin
04-30-2019, 06:19 PM
I'm curious to hear what some of the guys here say, my 110 has serious going into gear and shifting issues as well.

Usmoneylover
04-30-2019, 06:20 PM
It is having difficulty switching from high/low and also shifting, not consistent at all and you have to do some rocking to get it to go into gear...I did get it into gear and it made the noise in gear as well. It's odd, the engine doesn't smoke and sometimes it runs very smoothly and quiet and then sometimes is got that rattle...it really sounds like it's in between gears or something of that nature, but i'm not really sure.

ATCKevin
04-30-2019, 06:24 PM
I think these trikes are known to have shift drum issues, sounds like that could be part of our problems.

DAM shop
04-30-2019, 07:05 PM
It is having difficulty switching from high/low and also shifting, not consistent at all and you have to do some rocking to get it to go into gear...I did get it into gear and it made the noise in gear as well. It's odd, the engine doesn't smoke and sometimes it runs very smoothly and quiet and then sometimes is got that rattle...it really sounds like it's in between gears or something of that nature, but i'm not really sure.

It could be the hi/lo gear, I would start there. Put it in gear and engage it to the hi side.

Usmoneylover
05-01-2019, 08:54 AM
I've ordered a service manual so I can start working on it...one more quick question: my deal came with a 1982 parts bike as well, will the engine parts work in the 85 engine? Thanks for the advice so far

DAM shop
05-01-2019, 09:02 AM
I've ordered a service manual so I can start working on it...one more quick question: my deal came with a 1982 parts bike as well, will the engine parts work in the 85 engine? Thanks for the advice so far

Yes, most of those motor parts are the same. Glad to hear you are investing in a service manual.

Usmoneylover
06-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Finally got some time to do a light inspection, here is what I found, any input?

DAM shop
06-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Finally got some time to do a light inspection, here is what I found, any input?

Something broke. Start looking for broken parts.