PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Fuel Tank Heat Shield?

Arky-X
04-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Anyone have suggestions how to remove the heat shield on the bottom of a tank for a 350X......without tearing it apart?

Also, any need to run a heat shield on a plastic tank?
With the comments I've heard of how tight a fit a Clarke tank is, I don't know if a heat shield would fit.

Cheers!

floydechoes2000
04-03-2019, 09:02 PM
There's 4 foam pads that attach it to the tank, you have to ruin the pads but not the heat shield. I just used a screwdriver to separate mine. I have yet to find new replacement foam pads of the right thickness, but I haven't looked too hard. No, there's no need to run it with a plastic tank.

Arky-X
04-03-2019, 10:32 PM
There's 4 foam pads that attach it to the tank, you have to ruin the pads but not the heat shield. I just used a screwdriver to separate mine. I have yet to find new replacement foam pads of the right thickness, but I haven't looked too hard. No, there's no need to run it with a plastic tank.

Thanks. I figured something would be destroyed removing it. I may try dousing with hot soapy water as I pry it away.

I've wondered if something like this butyl adhesive noise dampening/heat shield would work. This one is 10mm thick.
https://www.amazon.com/LINGDA-Insulation-Dampening-Moistureproof-Waterproof/dp/B07DDLYNQD/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=butyl+heat+shield+insulation&qid=1554344794&s=gateway&sr=8-2

floydechoes2000
04-04-2019, 08:41 PM
I think something like that should be fine for recreational riding, maybe not WFO desert racing but how many of us are doing that with our 350X's? Not that I wouldn't like to try desert racing, but I'm in Connecticut haha