PDA

View Full Version : A cam that has play/slides back and forth?

ArizonaATC
03-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Was tearing into the top end to take my cam out and after I got the CDI and Advance off the cam shaft I could pull it towards me with the sprocket and chain still on, is this normal?

BarnBoy
03-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Yes that's normal from what I've seen. Nothing keeping it tight in there.

ArizonaATC
03-13-2019, 05:47 AM
Yes that's normal from what I've seen. Nothing keeping it tight in there.

I thought it was, but wanted to be sure because honestly it doesn't really feel right haha.

I think last time I took a cam out on one of those 200 engines I had the same feeling but just didn't bother looking into it

BarnBoy
03-13-2019, 09:13 AM
I thought it was, but wanted to be sure because honestly it doesn't really feel right haha.

I think last time I took a cam out on one of those 200 engines I had the same feeling but just didn't bother looking into it

Side to side play should be fine. Once it's all assembled it shouldn't move much. Vertical play in the cam is usually the issue with these engines, having plain aluminum bearings cast into the head. No easy fix once they're worn.

I am boring the left cam journal in my 200M head out to install a bronze bushing. Also using a ball bearing in the advancer housing. Had 0.01" play between cam journal and head journal. Cam had actually worn more than the head journal....go figure. Anyway I have a thread here on 3WW where I've been documenting the process. Also if you search on thumpertalk you'll find a thread on a guy who did the ball bearing in the advancer housing.

ArizonaATC
03-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Side to side play should be fine. Once it's all assembled it shouldn't move much. Vertical play in the cam is usually the issue with these engines, having plain aluminum bearings cast into the head. No easy fix once they're worn.

I am boring the left cam journal in my 200M head out to install a bronze bushing. Also using a ball bearing in the advancer housing. Had 0.01" play between cam journal and head journal. Cam had actually worn more than the head journal....go figure. Anyway I have a thread here on 3WW where I've been documenting the process. Also if you search on thumpertalk you'll find a thread on a guy who did the ball bearing in the advancer housing.

I meant side to side yes, thanks for the help!

Dirtcrasher
03-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Hang on guys, don't confuse each other.

Thrust play (or in and out), perpendicular to the camshaft is probably just fine, depends on the model.

There shouldn't be any up and down play nor have any side to side parallel play....

ArizonaATC
03-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Hang on guys, don't confuse each other.

Thrust play (or in and out), perpendicular to the camshaft is probably just fine, depends on the model.

There shouldn't be any up and down play nor have any side to side parallel play....

we both mean in and out play lol

Gabriel
03-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Now you sound like Glamy.

barnett468
03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
All you guys need to stop playin with your shafts.

barnett468
03-13-2019, 09:31 PM

...cuz you might go blind.