PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R Revival

HondaRidr
03-02-2019, 03:33 AM
Last May an old friend sent me a facebook marketplace three wheeler ad because he knew I ride three wheelers. I opened it thinking it was going to be a beat old hardtail but it was an 85 R! I didn't need another project so I sent the ad to a couple of trike buddies but they didnt jump on it based on how rough it looked. By the end of the day I convinced myself that I should just go look at it and check it out. When I got there I realized that it wasn't a beat to hell POS but just very rough cosmetically. The guy was the second owner and rode it in the desert out by Las Vegas years ago. I couldn't help myself and I brought it home. At some point the grab bar, seat and rear fenders were stolen and the chain was so rusty you could hardly roll it. The engine has never been opened up and has good compression. Since I got it I have replaced fork seals, fork boots, tires, chain, rear master cylinder, swapped carb for a stock bored out to 36mm carb, rebuilt that caarb, pipe (PT high rev copy), repacked silencer, seat, fenders, grab bar, lights, stator with 200w stator, bars, clutch cable, rear sprocket and disk brake (both bent), brake pads, and airfilter. I just finished up the DC conversion to run the LED lights and added a taillight that has a brake light (along with switches for the front and rear master cylinders). I have a ported cylinder that I was going to put on it but I have been surprised at how well it runs so I decided to just leave it alone. It has been a slow process so far but it sure does look better than it used to! :D257552257553257554257555

Bob Smith
03-02-2019, 03:36 AM
Are these bikes the fastest ones? They look fast just sitting still.

barnett468
03-02-2019, 12:47 PM
Are these bikes the fastest ones?

No, the fastest production ATC is of course...The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

They look fast just sitting still.

This is true, so at least they do one thing well. https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/hysterical.gif

ATCKevin
03-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Kudos to you saving it! Wish I could find a liquid cooled one to resurrect. Maybe someday I will. Your build looks awesome. I dig the lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bkm
03-02-2019, 08:29 PM
What pipe is that? I like the old school FMF decal on the silencer.

HondaRidr
03-03-2019, 10:07 PM
The pipe is built off the dimensions of a Paul Turner High Rev and was built by a previous employee of CPI. I cleaned up and ran the fmf in the first pictures but like the power delivery of this pipe a lot more. I haven't had it out yet to test out the lights but man they are bright. I will get a chance to try them out in a couple weeks at Coral Pink sand dunes in southern Utah.257588257587

bkm
03-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Do you still have the fmf?

HondaRidr
03-06-2019, 05:06 PM
I do still have the FMF but am holding on to it so I can swap pipes if I decide I want to sell on of my Rs.

kevin
03-06-2019, 10:42 PM
What lights/mounts are those, they look wicked!

350Kris
11-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Great score, @HondaRidr!!! Could you post or send details about you DC conversion? Thanks!

Blmpkn
11-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Yeah, those lights are gnarly. Love it.