PDA

View Full Version : Best exhaust made for 83-85 Honda 200x?

Tacky
02-01-2019, 12:26 AM
So I was wondering and looking around at several previously manufacturers exhaust systems fpr the 83-85 200x. I have seen the following:

Stock Honda
White Brothers R4
Supertrapp with discs
Cobra megaphone
DG RCM
others I missed?

Just wondering how they compared to each other, performance wise, sound, etc.

Any personal experience is welcome...

For me I have experience with the cobra system I have on my 200x, its loud! But it does an ok job I guess at working with my modified motor. But I have no other experience to compare it too on a 200x.

yaegerb
02-01-2019, 01:20 AM
TC, Sparks, KR pipe’s, kerker, Powroll, yoshimura. DG and Cobra offer little to no power gains. Supertrapp is the best overall with Powroll/sparks/TC closely behind it.

Ranvier
02-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Did supertrapp make both a 4inch racing and regular series for the 200x?

oldskool83
02-01-2019, 09:05 AM
HRE one I used.

morgan
02-01-2019, 11:22 AM
https://200x.webs.com/documents/200xPipeTest.pdf

Scootertrash
02-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Did supertrapp make both a 4inch racing and regular series for the 200x?

Pretty sure it was 3 in. If I get a chance to climb up in the attic today I'll verify. ;)

Ranvier
02-01-2019, 11:29 PM

That's a great magazine article. I wish there was a version for the 350x exhausts for comparison. This Supertrapp doesn't look the same as the 200x trapp pictured.

Tacky
02-02-2019, 10:34 PM
HRE one I used.

Is that custom built or manufacturered that way? Never seen one.

Tacky
02-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Its a shame that these listed in the article are very slim to none as far as finding one in good shape for use today. The search continues....then I may switch mine.

dirtface
02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
I have always been a big fan of the Bassani pipes.

christph
02-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Mickey Dunlop might have a good option for you. I'm not sure if he's offering a full system yet, but he did make head pipes that fit up to the DG silencer I think.

oldskool83
02-03-2019, 09:21 PM
HRE systems are different now days. Mine shown was a highly modified yz400f one. New ones are more like the old cobra ones. I wanted sound dumped into ground.

Tacky
02-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys, I am still pondering what I will do next. I may have to experiment with a few mufflers or see if I can find one of the ones listed above in good condition to use. I did take my cobra apart yesterday and some of the packing is missing. It has a core with maybe 5" covered with packing. But for the most part is a straight through design. I wonder if reducing the endcap diameter which will increase back pressure and make it a bit quieter will change things. Might be interesting to experiment with. Those seem to be my options since I think the only ones still mass produced is the dg rcm, what a shame.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2019, 04:18 PM
DG and Cobra are obnoxiously loud, not neighbor/trail friendly.

If you can find a nice Supertrapp, I think you'd like being able to add or remove discs.

The newer systems guys are using are very expensive, but a nice old school exhaust can run just a little bit less.

I've got a complete 85 200X ST setup, but I paid 300$ so it wouldn't leave my hands for less than 400$; At that point, you may just grab yourself a new custom system.

Trike builds and parts are not cheap...

lardog
02-05-2019, 09:41 PM
I saw one on eBay this morning? Is this what your looking for?
eBay item number:303051276550

Tacky
02-05-2019, 10:45 PM
I did look at that supertrapp, but I found a kerker complete setup for my 200x. It was not cheap, but appears to be in pretty good shape. What do you guys think?....pics below.

shortline10
02-06-2019, 06:19 AM
That’s the small head pipe version that Kerker made and most likely little to no hp gain with that exhaust .
Would make a great stock replacement though

Tacky
02-06-2019, 02:43 PM
That’s the small head pipe version that Kerker made and most likely little to no hp gain with that exhaust .
Would make a great stock replacement though

Well atleast it should be quieter than the cobra, and period correct. What was the diameter of the large head pipe?

floydechoes2000
02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
I love the looks of that Kerker system! Not sure I've ever seen anything except street bike stuff made by them. I'd imagine they're pretty rare.

86125m
02-06-2019, 10:39 PM
I love my all chrome kerker pipe on my x I got it new when my favorate parts place closed down. Dont know about performance gains but its not loud when putting around but makes some good noice when you really get down on the throttle.

Tacky
02-07-2019, 03:06 AM
I love the looks of that Kerker system! Not sure I've ever seen anything except street bike stuff made by them. I'd imagine they're pretty rare.

Yes I have a liking to its looks as well. I know the supertrapp will allow me to make more power, but its ugly, reminds me of a world war II german panzerfaust, or anti tank weapon. But if thats your tastes, than who am I to judge, use what works.

Yes I looked for a while before purchasing that one. I had my eye on a chrome or polished supertrapp, but it got gone before I could come up with the funds. So I jumped on the good condition kerker, it was not cheap, but should be worth it, atleast better than the cobra I have.

Tacky
02-07-2019, 03:11 AM
I love my all chrome kerker pipe on my x I got it new when my favorate parts place closed down. Dont know about performance gains but its not loud when putting around but makes some good noice when you really get down on the throttle.

Thats good to know, anything will be quieter than my cobra. Its super loud. So I am sure I will like it better than what it replaces. I am optimistic on my new system, and the positive words ypu guys have on it. Will post pics when I get it installed.

Tacky
02-10-2019, 02:48 AM
Well I got in the kerker exhaust system today. I wasted no time removing the cobra and installing the kerker. Its a bit more testy to install since the header pipe is longer, had to remove the air box boot, and do some playing to get the header in, but it went in. I then bolted up the muffler, and fired it up. I would say the exhaust is about 90 % to 95 % shape. It sounds good, reminds me of the ct racing complete exhaust I had on my 660 raptor. Its alot less obnoxious than the cobra, as you guys said its rather quiet until you get on the throttle. I have not had a chance to test ride it but I can say that the motor would fluctuate in rpms with the cobra while idling, and I had to play with the idle screw regularly. However with the kerker it idles pefect no fluctuations. I am deeply impressed despite the green backs it costed. It cleaned up nicely. I did get in my renthal bars as well, and installed them, much better feel.

floydechoes2000
02-10-2019, 08:56 PM
That's one very clean machine, it looks awesome! I think the Kerker looks even better installed! What bend Renthal did you choose?

Tacky
02-10-2019, 11:32 PM
That's one very clean machine, it looks awesome! I think the Kerker looks even better installed! What bend Renthal did you choose?

Thanks its been an awesome journey, and now i guess I will need a new project, would really love an atc250r around a 85, or 86 to go with it, maybe build from the ground up. I did take it out today for a few laps around the yard, it feels strong, and very quick, had a strong mid to top end punch too. Im happy.

I used the part number R7871. Not sure which bike the were made for probably the trx450r, however they are 7/8" aluminums, and they are a bit taller than the oem steel that was on it Think the bars ran me like $76 shipped. I use the bike master foam atv grips on all my machines, they are super comfortable. But I am totally happy with it.

6spdls1z28
02-25-2019, 11:33 AM
That looks really good on there. My brothers 200x has a dg on it I think it looks like crap.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tacky
02-25-2019, 03:32 PM
That looks really good on there. My brothers 200x has a dg on it I think it looks like crap.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I agree with you the dg, and cobra are not the best looking but they are functional. I know my cobra is extremely loud, not so with the kerker, even at high rpms, the kerker is quieter, and far from obnoxious. I have a dg xcellerator III on my polaris scrambler, and hmf on my 450 foreman, and the 200x is quieter, can't really hear it running at idle when the other 2 are running. The DG is the loudest. But I am happy with the kerker.

Jack G
12-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Just to add to this thread and make some of the 83-85 200X exhaust info easier to find, check out the charts I made in this thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/185525-Craigslist-Find-Brand-New-in-Box-83-85-200X-Cobra-Aluminum-Exhaust?highlight=conditional+formatting

Posts #23 and #31 have the charts in them. The numbers are based off of the 200X pipe test document posted above. Conditional formatting was used to provide an easy, visual, comparison between all of the exhausts that were offered at the time. It's neat to see what rev range each exhaust performs best at.

Hope this is useful here!
Jack

Tacky
12-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Jack, thanks for the added information.

Been missing a while but here is a picture of my completed 1985 200x, its a load of fun, and brings me back to the late 80's, miss those days, however still have a pathway too it.