PDA

View Full Version : "Flat" tires

Bernard3rd
01-28-2019, 12:07 AM
Hi all,

I had parked my recently purchased ATC 185s in the garage over the summer, and basically didn't pay much attention to it for the duration of the Summer - occasionally starting and running it at idle, but not riding it. I live in Chandler, AZ, and it is typically too hot to ride much in the Summer. It has basically new tires, and in taking it out after Summer was over, the tires had flat spots on them. I don't recall this having been an issue for our 3 wheelers when I was a kid and lived in Kansas, and I think that they may have gone months without having been ridden... Is this a Desert Phenomenon? I suspect that temps in the garage can get up to 110 or more in the Summer, and probably rarely go below 100 degrees from May to October or so. My theory is that this maybe is harder on the tires than in cooler climates...

Do any of the rest of you in the Southwest have experience with this - flat spots on the tires?

I have a Harbor Freight ATV lift, and I think that I may just lift it and leave it slightly suspended to store it for the Summer this year.

Any experiences similar?

ps2fixer
01-28-2019, 02:41 AM
I'm up in Michigan and atvs that sit a really long time sometimes have flat spots to the tires. It's a bit of a nature of bias-ply tires, and even radial tires get it sometimes. It depends on the tire, psi, etc. Throwing anything under the machine to get the tires off the ground slightly should stop the effect. After a bit of riding the tires should round out again.

My T100 pickup truck had egg shaped tires when I first bought it. It has radial snow tires, but it sat 5+ years.

wonderboy
01-28-2019, 08:17 AM
I use this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/dirt-bike-stand-67151.html

Have most of my machines on one of these when parked in the garage. It's not as easy to get a 3-wheeler on them as it is a dirt bike. I put the stand next to the footpeg on one side, stand in front of the front tire and lift it with both hands, then scoot the stand under the engine/skid plate with my foot.

Bernard3rd
01-28-2019, 09:14 AM
Thanks Gents,

Pretty much confirmed what I thought... Suspended for the Summer it is.