PDA

View Full Version : Belt twisted in ATC tire?

Gabriel
01-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Not possible? They ain't got "traditional" belts that give you the sinister broken belt like a radial does.

Well, this '84 200ES is wearing brand new Deestone 930's. For the first time i did more than putt in the driveway. You hit third gear and it gets a death wobble that will KILL you if'n you went any faster.

So, I jack it up and spin the wheel. It's wobbly. Set the machine on a solid block and put a mag base dial indicator on the rim. It's out 8 thousandths. That ain't doing it. Then you get down on your knees and give it a good spin and watch it. It's the tread that wobbles. JUST LIKE a broken belt.

I've been working in the family business mounting and balancing tires for over 13 years now. I have mounted more tires than the average person. NEVER seen an ATV tire do this. Of course the first one I see would be on mine.

Anyone ever seen this?

Rob Canadian
01-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Hey Gabriel.

Is the family business in automotive? Just curious. I am in the automotive field. As far as ATV or dirtybike tires. Well... They sometimes sit around and with these tires they can be shipped in poor conditions. My last dirtybike tires were bad. I had them in the house and warmed them up. Once mounted they were not bad. FF to my rear tires for my trike. Again bad. I did over inflate them and had it that way for a while sitting around on rims. Deflated the tires to normal pressure and they are fine.

Gabriel
01-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Our business is strictly tires.
Tires are new stock. Only took 25 pounds to seat the bead and I set it to 3psi with a Milton low pressure gauge.

floydechoes2000
01-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Just throwin this out there for what it's worth... Death wobble can indicate bad steering stem bearings. I've seen tires that looked like that but caused no real issues.

Gabriel
01-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Brand new cone bearings. They are snug and smooth. Pretty much everything on this one is new or completely rebuilt.

floydechoes2000
01-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Damn that stinks! Any warranty on the tire?

redsox
01-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Deestone is JUNK!!! Ever use a harbor freight bungee chord? Same rubber. JUNK. You get what you pay for my friend!! Thats why Glamy's comments are free!