PDA

View Full Version : Stuck left side case. Help.

saltydesertrat
01-16-2019, 07:02 PM
I am having trouble removing the left side case (Goki if it matters) from my 85 350x. Oil is drained, every one of the bolts are out. I've tapped with a mallet, tugged hard, it's not budging. It is about 35 degrees out if that matters. Any tips? Thank you.

ATCKevin
01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
I’ve had stubborn side cases that really had me frustrated before. A few times it’s the one bolt that I missed or the one bolt that’s under a cover that I didn’t see etc. usually the covers get stuck on those dowel pins or a gasket that has turned into concrete. I have had good luck soaking the gasket area with Kroil overnight and it helps to soften up the gasket if that’s where it is stuck. I try to limit how much I tap or pry on anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

floydechoes2000
01-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Mine was a bear too, I believe the service manual shows where the built in pry points are but if I remember correctly one is near the foot peg and the other is towards the top left. If yours is fighting you, order a couple new dowels when you order a new gasket. They're cheap and probably corroded, they are what was holding my cover on so tightly. Good luck!

saltydesertrat
01-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Thanks. I will look for pry points. It's a Goki cover. It was put together using a gasket seal like Yamabond. Was off 4 years ago.

saltydesertrat
01-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Got it off. I didn't see any pry points on the Goki cover. I gave it one tap and it broke loose. Maybe from sitting with the bolts loose for a few hours? Thanks everyone.

Scootertrash
01-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Put the proper gasket in when you reassemble. Do not use any gasket sealer, it' s not neccesary. Coat both sides of the gasket with a light film of grease and it will come apart easier next time and you can reuse the gasket. I don' t reuse a gasket more than twice.