PDA

View Full Version : 85 250 sx no key

3wheelsornone
01-05-2019, 01:55 AM
So I have no key.. just got ahold of this beauty and trying to get it going. Any help is much appreciated. I have 4 hanging wires. 2 thicker, one yellow with red stripe and and the other is solid red. The other 2 are small black an green wires. I bought some toggle switches and currently have the 2 thicker wires hooked up but I blew a fuse. So the other 2 small wires, do I hook those up to a toggle as well an leave it the on position?? I’ll post pics

3wheelsornone
01-05-2019, 01:59 AM
Also, how do I post pictures from my phone lol?? I don’t have a computer atm.

fabiodriven
01-05-2019, 02:27 AM
You can download the tapatalk app to use the forum easier from your phone.

I'm going to suggest you get your hands on a volt meter or at least a test light. Someone might be able to tell you the exact color of wires and exactly what to do with each *cough* ps2fixer *cough*, oh excuse me. Your best bet is to use a meter to figure out what you're doing though.

3wheelsornone
01-05-2019, 02:50 AM
Cool alright thanks a lot. This app is pretty awesome!! 256485256486

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ps2fixer
01-05-2019, 04:01 AM
Ahh found the thread, kind of a weird location lol, new member discussion is where I normally scan for new member posts.

Anyway, I replied to your pm, but seeing it's a new to you machine, my #1 target in your situation is to figure out if the engine runs, and what condition it is in (trans, rear diff, bearings etc). Assuming you got it for a good price, looks like you got a nice score on the Clark gas tank, and the two metal parts sticking up though the rear fender are aftermarket rear rack mounts which have a fairly good value if you don't plan to get a rear rack for it.

Anyway, of course first thing is check fluids and the typical stuff to make sure it's safe to start the engine and such. I'll leave this down to common sense, but if you're new with working on machines and such, just let us know and we can help direct you.

First thing I'd do is disconnect anything todo with the ignition switch, and put the handle bar kill switch to Run and check if it has spark. Orange/red is bad spark, blue/white is what it should be, still a chance of weak spark but that would be later if we can't get it going yet. If you have no spark, you'll have to check the engine connections at the stator, CDI, and ignition coil. Also note this machine has a safety system for starting, it must be in neutral to start. Since your neutral light is lit up, clearly the switch is working with your toggle setup, but the light isn't needed to kick start it.

If you do have spark then I'd guess you need to pull the carb and clean it out well. There's a good write up on here, but I can't recall what the thread was called exactly or I'd link it.

Of course the engine needs compression to run, if you have a compression tester, let us know what it comes up as, if not, we might not need the reading.

Do you have a multi meter and know the basics on how to use it? I really should make a starter guide on how to use a multi meter, or just find a good site that already has a write up.

Anyway, I think this is a good start on your situation. Hopefully getting the engine going isn't too hard. I mentioned it in the PM, but you could get a replacement 250sx ignition switch off me assuming your harness isn't hacked up and such. No point in spending money that isn't needed to be spent till you know what you're working with.

Good luck with the project. There's a few things to test with the meter if you still have no spark, but I'll reserve that for after I see a reply. A cheap meter works, but might not be the most accurate. Generally it's good enough though, get a digital one if you don't have one, most auto parts stores have them, and if you get used to how they work, a lot of wiring questions you'd ever have can be answered with the meter generally.

3wheelsornone
01-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Your the man. I’ll post pics along the way.. parts are on the way. So far I think everything’s okay. I do need to check rear end fluid.

I got your pm an sent you one right back good sir, thank you for helping me

3wheelsornone
01-09-2019, 09:35 PM
So with the plastics I took a razor blade and scraped the top layer off then went over with a sand block. Looks alright, just looking for a better shine. No paint necessary.. still a ways to go with the rear fenders.

Got the new battery in, plan to bungie cord that in place. Redneck rigged ignition but it works woo hoo

Going with the blue accents.. blue grips, blue Honda seat cover on the way.. blue something else idk yet. I was missing the light so just bought the 9 inch light bar from Walmart. Just got that mounted an super excited to try that out!! Pretty sweet mod.

Waiting on the carb rebuild and a foot shifter to really put it all to the test. Wasn’t to worried about brakes but I got the front brakes working somewhat. 1st gear an trees all I need.

I’ll post a video once I get it going

Is there a way to move your thread ?

ps2fixer
01-09-2019, 09:49 PM
You could pm a staff member on the site. Probably the easier way is to report your first thread and add a note that you'd like it moved. Reporting works well since the staff will see it when they are prepared to work on the site, instead of a pm that might not be good timing for them (I've been a site admin in the past lol).

Nice work on the switch, I suspect the key was missing? Kind of weird, the switch is mounted upside down, I don't think your dash looked that worn for that to be possible. The on/off indication is located at the top normally. Anyway, yea drilling out the key area and getting it to that point works pretty well for a screwdriver key. A lot of old cars were the same way.

There's some threads on making the plastics look nice, it pretty much sums up to sanding with higher and higher grit paper, and get to the point you can buff it. Pretty much depends how much time you're willing to put into it, and how deep the worse scratches are you want to remove.

Anyway, looks like it's coming along well. Probably worth checking or just replacing the oil filter too, dont think anyone mentioned that before. If I'm remembering right, it's on the right side under the little cover with 3 bolts holding it in. It will leak some oil out and there's a filter + spring inside. Make sure to not install the new one backwards, it will starve the top end of oil.

3wheelsornone
01-10-2019, 01:11 AM
You could pm a staff member on the site. Probably the easier way is to report your first thread and add a note that you'd like it moved. Reporting works well since the staff will see it when they are prepared to work on the site, instead of a pm that might not be good timing for them (I've been a site admin in the past lol).

Nice work on the switch, I suspect the key was missing? Kind of weird, the switch is mounted upside down, I don't think your dash looked that worn for that to be possible. The on/off indication is located at the top normally. Anyway, yea drilling out the key area and getting it to that point works pretty well for a screwdriver key. A lot of old cars were the same way.

There's some threads on making the plastics look nice, it pretty much sums up to sanding with higher and higher grit paper, and get to the point you can buff it. Pretty much depends how much time you're willing to put into it, and how deep the worse scratches are you want to remove.

Anyway, looks like it's coming along well. Probably worth checking or just replacing the oil filter too, dont think anyone mentioned that before. If I'm remembering right, it's on the right side under the little cover with 3 bolts holding it in. It will leak some oil out and there's a filter + spring inside. Make sure to not install the new one backwards, it will starve the top end of oil.

10.4 I’ll try to get it moved over. Yes no key.. he had the switch cut an drilled out like you see it. I just wired it back in. If I feel like Turing it right side up I will, honestly didn’t pay attention because it’s all tore up, but it works so I’m happy!! Glad I didn’t have to track down any real wiring kinks. the switch for the headlight was finicky, the more I flipped on/off the better the connection got so it seemed. Yea the sanding and buffing does take time, tiring by hand after awhile but I’ll get it. As soon as I get my carb kit I’ll have the oil, air filter, plug, air filter all that done and I’ll be in the woods hopefully.

Thanks again

ps2fixer
01-10-2019, 02:32 AM
Don't forget to look over the fluid levels, or just replace all fluids, like the rear diff.

Might be a bit of a pain, but it's possible to take the switch assembly apart, and I think you can take apart the rocker switches to get to the contacts to clean up. Some like 800 grit sand paper would work well, don't forget to put a little grease on it to lube it back up like white lithium grease.