PDA

View Full Version : Polaris VIN

99gsxr750
12-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Anybody know how to decipher the old 7 digit VIN that were used by Polaris. I Found an 88 trailboss 250 for sale, but the frame was painted and I was only able to make out 5 of the 7 digits. I think I missed the first digit is which I determined is probably a 1. I'm at a lost as to what other digit I missed and what number it could be.

Thanks,
Mike

ps2fixer
12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
I don't have a service manual for those machines, but I suspect if you can find one there would be atleast something about the VIN number in there. Being such a short number it might not have much info contained in it unless you know production numbers, but in theory there should be a prefix to say which machine it is, a section for year, and a section for which production number it is.

Good luck on the search. You could try to take some paper and a normal pencil and scribble over the numbers to see if you can read them any better.

MonroeMike
12-31-2018, 01:49 PM
This may help.

99gsxr750
01-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it doesn't matter anymore. Apparently I offended him with my $500 offer. It's a 31 year old quad that needs a brake master cylinder, complete front suspension overhaul, new handle bars and steering bar as both are bent. Either the rear caliper is seized or the trans has issues as you can feel something dragging and no clue as to whether or not the electric start works since there's no battery, but none of that matters to him since its a running quad. What a shame because it's just going to get beat on it until it blows up becoming nothing more than junk. I wanted to give it a little TLC and in return have a semi-decent back up quad. Oh well....my search continues.

Mike