PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch pipe expander?

Gabriel
12-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Where can a fella find a 1 inch pipe expander? I've looked around the web. The only ones I find are in $200+++ kits. Uhh...NO.

ATC 200, S, M, E & ES all use the same header and the exit shank is right about 1.125 If I could find a one inch pipe expander I could use 1 inch rigid conduit which is like 1-1/16 ID to solve a LOT of exhaust issues. Finding a suitable muffle is not difficult. The tractor world is full of usable muffler but that transition from header to muffler is the killer.
A pipe bender and an expander would solve that for sure.
I think the conduit would hold up pretty well. It's thick enough to take the heat but thin enough to easily crush to a good seal.

This would solve a LOT the issues I have with the half dozen trikes I have that need fixin'!

Thanks for any input or opinions.

christph
12-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Yeah, good luck finding a 1" pipe expander. I've looked before and could only find 1 1/8". I had your problem recently with an old-school exhaust. I needed a longer tube to connect the stinger with the expansion chamber. My solution was to buy slightly different sized thin-walled 4130 steel tubing--sliding one tube into another--and soldering them together. It worked great. Below is the link where I bought them. You can get them in 1 ft. lengths. Here are the dimensions of the tubes. It's a tight slip fit so all you need to do is solder them.

1.125 x .049 x 1.027 and 1.25 x .065 x 1.12

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=250&step=2&top_cat=197

Gabriel
12-26-2018, 06:36 PM
I think you're right.
I think me and Mister South Bend lathe are gonna have a little pow wow tomorrow and see what i can't MAKE me one. Heck, how hard can it be?

Looking at the bend on the inlet pipe of an ES/E type muffler...that could be done easily with a conduit bender. If I could expand the pipe to be a tight fit to the header, that would open up a new world of options. Pass or fail, I am going to try it. $10 for a 10ft stick at Lowe's. I'm thinking a little heat from my acetylene torch would make things a little easier. Trial and error.

The next hurdle will be where to get a suitable clamp. If all else fails I'll do a as you say and solder the bugger. I would rather have it easily disassembled though.

I got an '84 200X to build next year. I have the header but no muffler. If I can get this right, that'll really help there.

Crazyktmmatt
12-27-2018, 01:46 AM
Might look at the harbor freight expanders

Gabriel
12-27-2018, 12:08 PM
This is gonna be harder than I thought. I managed to expand one end but for the life of me I cannot get it to expand evenly. All I managed was a belled mouth. Grrrrr.

christph
12-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Another problem with pipe expanders is they need to be inserted all the way--2 to 3 inches--otherwise you just flare the pipe and don't get a good seal.

Gabriel
12-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Yeah, no kidding! Where were you a few hours ago before I wasted time I’ll never get back!!!!!!!

HaHaHa!!! Just kidding. Well....not on the wasted time part. F-me, every trip I travel must be traversed thrice.

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2018, 07:00 PM
A few years back before an Ice Fest, I went to 4 different muffler shops. At that time, I was trying to adapt 450 exhaust to my 350X, and I needed a custom mid pipe; Well, just like you found, I couldn't get any help. None of them had ANYTHING that was small enough to help me.I ended up buying a larger pipe, chopped it and welded it to fit another piece and cobbled it together. It wasn't right and it wasn't fun...