PDA

View Full Version : 200s axle removal tricks

deathwobble
10-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Anyone have any 200s axle removal tricks. Working on tearing down a 1985 200s. Managed to get the brake drum off after a lot of wacking however the axle is frozen in there something solid. I've had it apart for a week or so and when i need to let out some energy I go take a block of wood and a 4 pound hammer and wack on it but have had no luck in getting it to budge. Anyone know any tricks?

Scootertrash
11-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Front axle? Rear axle? Got a manual?

Got some pics?

shortline10
11-01-2018, 07:05 AM
On the tough ones I’ll heat up the axle at the carrier with a torch , I use a old 200x hub which is heavy cast iron and same axle splines and beat it with a big hammer , might take a few heat cycles to get it loose .

ctk
11-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Soak in pb blaster, then like shortlline said heat cycles. Patience is the key, no use ruining a good axle

atctim
11-01-2018, 09:21 AM
I have two old junk hubs (I think they are off a 200ES) facing each other and bolted together through the stud holes. I place it on the brake side of the axle, have someone hold the bike steady and bash the ever living crap out of it with a giant sledge hammer. Have not had an axle not come out this way yet.

deathwobble
11-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Had to heat the brake drum and wack it a ton to get it off. May end up putting a durablue +4 axle in but I agree I dont want to ruin this one. Ill try some heat cycles on the carrier, this thing defiantly sat outside for a while which isnt helping the cause. Found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTVBNmWRsxc kinda like what youre talking about atctim but with some square tubing. Might fab one up with my 200s hubs because I'm defiantly switching to hubs with a 4X110 bolt pattern since I have a ton of rims with that pattern. Sounds like more patience, heating, penetrating oil and hammering till she finally gives in.

atctim
11-02-2018, 09:00 AM
I've never seen a Durablue axle for a 200S. Are you sure that is an option?

deathwobble
11-04-2018, 02:36 AM
I havent seen one for a 200s. Part of the reason I'm pulling it all apart is I'm planning on rebuilding this trike and as part of the rebuild doing the disc brake conversion that I believe you have the thread on. Anyway since the conversion runs 200x disc/hub I was going to take the bent 200x axle I have lying around to see if I could make it work and if so potentially buy a durablue for a 200x. If I'm not mistaken (which I may be) the OD of the axles in the middle is the same and bearings wont be an issue, it would come down too chain alignment and width of bearing carriers between models. May be impossible but is a thought I had about 200s with a disc brake conversion.