PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle Collars - Interchangable?

Pierce1989
10-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone, I was replacing the front axle bearings and noticed my 81 Honda ATC 200 didn't have the axle collars to hold the axle into the forks. I've been riding it like this for years, never had an issue at all. Now that I noticed it, feels very unsafe! Ebay has used ones for ridiculous prices, new ones online are ridiculous prices. I could buy a used axle off ebay for $35 - $40 that has them but still unnecessary money for 2 little collars. Has anyone else looked for these and know if they're universal with ATVs or dirtbikes? Feels like people jack up the prices for anything for the old ATCs but I've noticed a lot of parts are interchangeable, just never have seen a massive list for cross-referencing. Thanks for any help!

Dirtcrasher
10-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Well, some of us have spent allot of money on things just to see if they fit the same, or just need to be modded a little bit.

I don't know your particular model, but it's just a spacer that can be shortened.

I have a lathe so I can play around with allot of the dimensions...

Pierce1989
10-30-2018, 05:49 PM
It's an '81 Honda 200 (no letter). But yeah that is what I am trying to avoid and I don't have the cool tools to fabricate much(yet!). Does anyone have the spacers/collars that go into the fork to hold the wheel in place and want to sell for something more reasonable that $20 new or $15 used? If you don't want to sell separately I will buy the axle with collars/castle nuts if it's reasonable. Please let me know!

350for350
10-30-2018, 10:05 PM
I don't think these are something that can be shortened. They are special and do actually hold the axle into the forks.