PDA

View Full Version : 110 Head Gasket replacement

RLich8
02-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I need to replace the head gasket on my '83 ATC 110.

When I do this, am I going to have to mess with cam timing, ignition timing, etc.?

What tools will I need to do the job?
How long will it take me? (will I be out of service for an hour, a day, etc..)

I've worked on 2 strokes before and I'm good at doing those, but I've never worked on a four stroke.

Please help if you can, thank you.

Roy

compaqkoci
02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
all ya need to take off is the top end, that only a couple bolts i be thinkin only like an hour of so. but if to do run into the timing chain run some wire through itand the little sprocket its on so you dont have to mess with it later :-D

bigred110
02-16-2004, 12:47 AM
It's somewhat time consuming thing. I could get it down in under 2hrs but I know how to.
You need to loosen the timing chain, unbolt the cam sprocket, slide if it off the cam and take the chain off. You might have to remove the cam for you to get the whole head off. Just get like 2 screw drivers and compress the valve springs and cam should come out. And remove the 4 head bolts.

82atc110
02-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Remove black "CDI" cover, 2 screws
remove pulse generator, one bolt in the center of the cam, it slides off the cam
remove the three screws holding the donut shaped plate with wires
remove the screws holding the cam cover on
rotate engine until rockers are loose, remove the little covers over each valve
remove head nuts, note where copper washers and acorn nuts are located
remove two cam sprocket bolts
while holding the cam sprocket, remove the cam, cam chain tension may need to be relieved
gently pull head up and off the studs
do not allow the cam chain to fall into the case
note head gasket placement, it must be replaced exactally as it was removed
Hope this helps, you really should get a manual they are worth every penny. I will check back to see how you are doing, if you need torque spec's I can get them to ya.

RLich8
02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
I think I'm going to buy a manual.

My question is, when I put this back together, can I just put it all back on in the way I took it off, or do I have to put the cam in a certain position, play with the valves, time it, etc.. anything like that.

82atc110
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
You can put the pulse generator on 180deg off from where its suppost to go. You will still get spark, it will just be at the wrong time in relation to stroke

RLich8
02-18-2004, 12:02 AM
THANK YOU for answering that, I was dying to know.

Should I use a timing light?

82atc110
02-19-2004, 12:19 AM
To do it right yes use a timing light, the trike will not start with the pulse generator off time. In addition, the sensor that receives the pulse must be rotated to the correct position (it is a metal ring with the wires attached). If you notice, that ring can be moved back and forth, this advances or retards ignition timing. If you have not done anything yet I will check my manual so you can get the correct valve timing. If your done and your not sure if the valve timing is correct remove the spark plug (to reduce compression and ease rotation) and pull the motor over GENTLY. I will get my manual out and let you know whats up.

hondatrikesrule22
02-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Do you think thats the problem with my bike? It just died all of a sudden.Also, how do I adjust my timing? thanx

82atc110
02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Without more info I can't say why your 110 died, however try the old stand by procedure. Do you have spark, and do u have fuel? Basic I know but your 110 is pretty simple to work on. To adjust timing on a CDI equipped machine you remove the black "CDI" cover, in the center with a bolt through it (10mm) is the puse generator. the ring surrounding the puse generator has a sensor with wires coming off it. This ring is held by two phillips head screws, when loose these screws allow you to rotate the ring advancing or retarding the timing. To do it correctly get a manual and a timing light. If doing a topend and a light is unavailabe simply mark where the ring was located in relation to the retaining screws. Hopefully this helps.

82atc110
02-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I made a small mistake, the pulse generator is the ring with wires. The part attached to the cam is the pulse rotor. I hope I did not cause anyone any trouble.