PDA

View Full Version : 200ES exhaust pipe to muffler seal

Gabriel
09-20-2018, 01:29 PM
The book shows the muffler is supposed to have a collet style end with a sleeve seal between it and the actual exhaust pipe. Mine is just a solid end. The pipe to muffler fit is sloppy with a good hundred thousandths worth of clearance.

Ideas on how to mate the two? I was thinking of slitting the muffler and making a clamp but what could be used to seal the two?

Big G
09-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Buy the proper gasket from Honda. I was still able to order one about 7 years ago, so I'm assuming they're still available. Don't 'mickey mouse' attaching the pipe to the muffler or there's a good chance you'll get an exhaust leak at the joint.

Gabriel
11-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Finally got the git'up'n'go to fix this. The muffler I have has had a piece of steel tube welded to it. The weld was good and the tubing was in good shape so I decided to work with it.

I slit it in two places and used some 1/4" thick steel bar to make a clamp. THere's about .050 clearance between the tube and the pipe. I plan on doing an exhaust wrap and the wrap is about .030 thick. One wrap around the pipe should make a decent enough gasket and then the clamp I made will cinch it down. Clamp is a little gaudy but you can't see it and I'll BBQ grill flat black over it. It should disappear.

I'd like to do a wrap and still use the factory heat shield. Should be able to. We will see.

https://i.imgur.com/RjwnFBY.jpg

83ATC185
11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
I don't recommend this but i made a gasket out of aluminum foil once out of desperation and it lasted a full summer before it started leaking. :lol:

Gabriel
11-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I have one "fixed" right now with aluminum HVAC tape. It's a temp fix until i can get it back in my shop to do a real repair. It's holding for now though.