PDA

View Full Version : YTM225 Voltage Draw?

Six Stroke
08-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Friends, Romans, Honda Men, lend me your ears...

Been a while, and I have returned with an alleged voltage draw on my 225dx. The battery stays up when it’s out of the trike, but something is pulling it down when it’s hooked up. What could it even be? It’s not like there’s a dome light. Hypothetically everything should be off when the key is off, no?

ironchop
08-31-2018, 08:20 PM
I don't know the fix or cause but I'll bump the thread at least

I will say there should be no draw with the ignition off. No sense having a battery that won't stay charged.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Jrobbins
08-31-2018, 09:34 PM
Will the brake light work with the key off? If so that could be your draw.

Six Stroke
09-01-2018, 09:07 AM
There’s no brake light period, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I'm going to pick up a voltmeter today and test the battery daily both in and out of the trike. See what kind of numbers I get.

Six Stroke
09-16-2018, 09:31 PM

Here’s my recorded voltages. Not as different as I expected.

Mach-10
09-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Without the wiring diagram in front of me I cannot pin point what all it could be but issues like this can be troublesome. Just because you have the Ignition switch off there it still a load going to the switch. So everything in between could be an issue (wires included). I would start with checking the grounding station off the battery. Second I would take the fuse out coming off the battery and keeping checking it like you were. By taking out the fuse you are eliminating everything past the fuse for a short that could be causing a drain. It could be somthing like a nicked wire touching the frame. So pay close attention where wires are tied together or touching something. Zip ties are known for doing this. Old splices as well.