PDA

View Full Version : Puff the magic dragon

tri guy
08-29-2018, 06:52 PM
So get this. I changed the oil on my wonderful non smoking 84 Big Red, only to have it blue SMOKE like HADES the next day?? I got rid of the toxic black crap and I put Val 10-40 ATV oil in in case anyones wondering. I would love to hear the reason!!

Rob Canadian
08-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Did you over fill it??

shortline10
08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Probably was a little low on oil and when topped off with fresh oil it’s going to smoke .
I get this occasionally we’re a customer drops off a non smoking machine and after a full service they notice it smoking now .

El Camexican
08-29-2018, 08:41 PM
How long have you owned it? Asking in case the last guy filled it with Engine Honey before you bought it.

tri guy
08-29-2018, 09:47 PM
I havent owned it 6 months ….but I still like answer #2. It seems to be getting less smokier the more I use it, oh and NO , I didn't try changing the SPARK PLUG !! I will keep you all posted on my findings .

El Camexican
08-29-2018, 10:25 PM
I havent owned it 6 months ….but I still like answer #2. It seems to be getting less smokier the more I use it, oh and NO , I didn't try changing the SPARK PLUG !! I will keep you all posted on my findings .

Just teasin, I'm betting its the new oil as well. I've had that happen on a few engines after an oil change, usually Briggs & Stratton, but a puff of smoke out of a bike has happened as well.

Does your BR have an oil filter and did you change or clean it?

tri guy
08-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Hey' No my 84 does not have a filter to my knowledge.

Gabriel
08-30-2018, 06:59 AM
It should have an oil screen in the drain plug.
You also need to pull the side cover and clean the centrifugal oil filter.
It's a pain but I guarantee it is packed with rubbery funk cause no one ever cleans them.

Dirtcrasher
08-30-2018, 03:54 PM
^ That's right. Oil filter rotor is OFTEN ignored, and it's your main oil filter...

tri guy
08-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Okee doke will do . Good news the exhaust smoke has already has lessened considerably so yay on that !

BOB MARLIN
08-31-2018, 08:55 AM
I had a problem like that when switched to synthetic oil in one of my 350x's.

Gabriel
08-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Get yourself a compression test kit. I got one off Amazon for $20 or so.

The test is easy. Warm the motor up. Snatch the plug, attach the test gauge and roll the motor over a few times. IF it's not within spec, put a few drops of oil in the cylinder through the plug hole and do another test. If the pressure comes up, you need rings. If it doesn't, it's valve related. If it does come up with a little oil in the cylinder, you're looking at like $50 for rings and couple of gaskets. It's easy to do and you can give it a little love and detail while the motor is out.

Either way, CLEAN that oil rotor.

Good luck.