PDA

View Full Version : ATC70 Spark Issues

GTO
08-27-2018, 07:01 AM
I bought an ATC70 in 2012 ended up putting a 110 pitbike engine in it from a almost new pitbike I bought.
ATC engine needed a new top end as well as cam chain, plus cam chain seemed like it had never been adjusted there were literally no teeth on the oil pump drive sprocket.
Crankshaft on flywheel was totally butchered had chisel the end of and cut the shaft shorter, drill a hole and tap a thread in it
Here is the thread I posted in 2012:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/143289-Shock-find-on-ATC-70!

So I had the pitbike still and my daughter is tall enough to ride it now and ATC with 110 lifan still runs great, so I was going to try and source a pitbike motor, but I had look on Aliexpress and there was a complete new ATC 70 top end(head barrel piston) for a really good price.
So I ended up rebuilding the engine.
But I am having spark issues, I checked for spark before starting, spark was good.
Bike fired and die almost immediately, no spark at the plug.
I checked through everything and eventually found there was no gap at the points but I set it a few weeks ago?
After setting the points again there was a spark, but same story bike fires runs for a second or 2 and dies and again no spark.
I have tested the following:
Cap is 10.55 Kohms(its a 10Kohm cap)
Primary circiut on ignition coil is 1.4ohms
Secondary circuit is 18.7 Kohms(8.25 without cap)
Stator coil is 2.8 ohms and seems to get just over 6 volts on most pulls.

I set the timing using the light bulb method but is still slightly advanced(+/- 7mm from F).

The other thing when I was reassembling the engine I noticed the woodruff was damaged, I had to file slightly because flywheel would not go on.

Points and condensor are old ones but points look good.

Its almost like each time I adjust the points gap I have spark again but as it starts it looses spark.

Howdy
08-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Pull the flywheel and check to see if the center shank / hub is rusty. If it is rusty it will eat the wear pad on the points and cause you to lose the gap and spark. I just got done cleaning the hub on one the other day.
Howdy

GTO
08-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Pull the flywheel and check to see if the center shank / hub is rusty. If it is rusty it will eat the wear pad on the points and cause you to lose the gap and spark. I just got done cleaning the hub on one the other day.
Howdy

I will when I get a chance but I don't recall it being rusty.

3 Wheel Drive
08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Replace the condenser, if your points are still good it should spark ⚡️ .

GTO
08-29-2018, 01:31 AM
Replace the condenser, if your points are still good it should spark ⚡️ .
Can a faulty condensor cause it not to spark?
I purchased a new one yesterday, just need to fit it.

3 Wheel Drive
08-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Yes I have had several old bikes that had weak or no spark, changed the condenser and then the spark returns. I have cleaned old points many times and they generally last a long time.

https://youtu.be/ACz_Nd0d2F4

This guy ^^^ has many helpful videos on YouTube for troubleshooting the small Honda engines. If you have an aftermarket coil that will probably be your problem because most of the chinese ones are 12 volt. Spanglers sells real 6 volt coils if you need one.

GTO
08-30-2018, 01:31 AM
Yes I have had several old bikes that had weak or no spark, changed the condenser and then the spark returns. I have cleaned old points many times and they generally last a long time.

https://youtu.be/ACz_Nd0d2F4

This guy ^^^ has many helpful videos on YouTube for troubleshooting the small Honda engines. If you have an aftermarket coil that will probably be your problem because most of the chinese ones are 12 volt. Spanglers sells real 6 volt coils if you need one.

Thanks, I see the condenser the bike shop gave isn't correct but in the mean time I will just use it to test.
Last night I changed plug lead and cap, had spark for 2/3 pulls of the pull start and then it was gone.

GTO
08-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Changed out condenser tonight, checked for spark, sparking nicely.
Tried to start bike nothing, checked for spark again no spark.

Sounds like the stator if you read this:

https://planetminis.com/forums/1973-1985-atc70-trx70/150660-spark-problem.html

GTO
08-31-2018, 02:11 AM
I was looking on ebay for Stator Rebuilt kits but there only seem to be ones for Z50 and CT70's, I have x2 Z50 bikes and I know they have a Hitachi flywheel, ATC 70 has a different flywheel.
Does anyone know which of the kits would be compatible with the ATC 70?