PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC 70 Ignition Coil

Balvar24
08-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Bought a pretty slick 1983 70 for the kids to ride. Still has all the decals, even "All Terrain Cycle" on the front.

Cleaned the carb and got it to run really well. Started on 1st or 2nd pull.

Now, only after a few rides, it doesn't want to stay running from a cold start.

Pull a few times, cranks and before it can warm up, dies. Will not start again for days. Got gas on the plug. Seems to have a weak/intermittent spark.

New plug and gapped.

Cleaned and adjusted point set.

Ohmed the coil and it's reading lower resistance. 1.8 ohm Primary. 8.5 kOhm secondary.

Seems low. Think this could be my problem?

Gabriel
08-14-2018, 02:51 PM
You can get a coil on ebay for around $10. I don't usually approve of the throw money at it repair approach....it's ten bucks. Add a new plug and see what happens. Worst case, you have a new coil.

I've never had a 70 apart but I'd make sure the rotor is gapped properly and the contact areas are good and clean and replace the coil and plug.

Hunting Chip
08-14-2018, 04:59 PM
That sounds awful familiar. I have an ‘84 70 that acts like that. Runs perfect, then one day will die and refuse to start for days. Good gas, new carb, good plug, gets spark and gas...and that little SOB won’t start! I have not messed with the coil or rotor yet either. Everyone says to use this as a perfect excuse to put something like a 125 in it!

shortline10
08-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Always start with new points and condenser . Set the gap at .016 with the flywheel set on the T .
OEM Coils rarely go bad and the China aftermarket ones are junk imo .
Also make sure your coil wire has good connections at the cap and coil .

Balvar24
08-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Thanks. Connections are good. Checked them all with a multimeter. I'm going to recheck the points and probably order a condenser.

Balvar24
09-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Fuel fouled plug. Adjusted mixture and all seems well. Boys rode it until it was out of gas Saturday.

Hunting Chip
10-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Always start with new points and condenser . Set the gap at .016 with the flywheel set on the T .
OEM Coils rarely go bad and the China aftermarket ones are junk imo .
Also make sure your coil wire has good connections at the cap and coil .

Thanks Shortline! I finally got the new points and condenser. Starts perfect and seems to run great.