PDA

View Full Version : Removing weld? No access

Super350
07-23-2018, 09:52 PM
Anybody have any ideas on how to remove weld from a sunken hole in a frame. Some jack-off put a bunch of weld in the hole instead of spending a dollar on a nut.

This is not my frame but picture is for reference. Same hole set-up.

ironchop
07-23-2018, 10:17 PM
What kind of machine access/Fab skills do you have?

I would either 1)cut out the weld out with a carbide endmill in a milling machine 2) cut the whole counter bored piece out of the frame and make a new one and weld in, or 3) mill out all the welds and the metal underneath leaving only the outer ring and then fab a washer of the correct thickness and outer/inner diameter and weld it in the inside frame side of the outer ring... Which requires a jig to maintain straight and square for the swingarm mount.

#1 would be the easiest and fastest

The weld will be much harder than the metal around it so it will destroy most cheap (HSS.....High Speed Steel) drillbits easily. That's why I say use carbide endmills or drill bits

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
07-23-2018, 10:35 PM
If you don’t have access to a mill and get stuck doing it by hand I’d start with a Dremel and small grinding bits to open the hole up and get a round shape. Once you have enough room to get in with a sanding drum, or flap wheel you should be able to sand it round.

Like Ironchop said, weld is a lot harder than the rest of the frame. Grinding and sanding it is easier than drilling or cutting it. Keep a damp rag handy when your grinding to cool the area off. Cold steel comes down faster than hot steel.

Dirtcrasher
07-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Yep, unless you have a mill (like me :D), a dremel (and 15 bits later) as well as a die grinder with a carbide tool, are your basic choices...

Stupid people doing stupid repairs is a pain in the azzzzzzzzz...

Bring it to a machine shop. the set up is what costs money, the operation is chicken...

Super350
07-24-2018, 10:45 PM
thanks for all the input guys! It will prolly be done by hand, i really dont want to tear it all down to the frame

roostin atc
07-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Hit up DR Pete. He may be able to help. Quadracer?

Scootertrash
07-28-2018, 05:53 AM
thanks for all the input guys! It will prolly be done by hand, i really dont want to tear it all down to the frame

The nice thing about doing it by hand is you don't have to cuddle afterwards........:naughty::lol:;)