PDA

View Full Version : O Boy, split the cases

Trikeaholic
02-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Oh, man, Im not a super mechanic or anything, but I split apart one of my junk Z motors just now (the 85) I want to get the tranny out of the 86 bottom end and put it in a decent running motor. All I can say is I think this might be a little beyond my capabilities. Is it really that tough?? what little tricks are there to getting that tranny in there? I have a manual, but I really have not read into it that closeley, both cases were smashed from the bottom end going out, so I figured I would just tear it apart to see what the whole deal was-is. BTW, the frame is out getting powdercoated, shock out to get rebuilt, snipes in on some rims and hubs, got some parts coming, but I think I may have to farm out the motor. I dunno. I want to do it myself, but boy, its pretty confusing in there.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-14-2004, 02:42 PM
ive been in my two z's a few times to replace the crank,and modify one of the shift stars,it is easier than you think,only take 20 minutes to split once out of the frame,,you will need a flywheel puller ($10),the timing is adjustable on them ,so make a mark to remember where the timing is set,may have to tap out the crank,sometimes they stick to the bearings in the cases,and you will need an electric impact to remove the clutch basket nut,and the gear on the crank that drives the clutch gear,if you pm me ill give ya # and ill walk ya through it,the cases only use yamabond for a gasket

Dirtcrasher
02-14-2004, 06:14 PM
My 250SX has about the most tranny pieces I've ever seen in any motor.

For me I look over the manual with everything in front of me and dry assemble it. Usually every washer or collar actually makes sense as to where it goes and why.

Alot of times I use quart size baggies and keep every assembly seperate like the kickstart, clutch, waterpump etc. and I write notes on them "thrust washer behind it" "oil holes up" etc etc.

I also scribe or scratch things that line up or go a certain way and I use cardboard or styrofoam to keep the case bolts all in there correct order.

Use a manual, the right tools, a well lit and clean area and take your time and you should be good to go.

hondatrikesrule22
02-14-2004, 06:41 PM
03 Orange shee,what do you use to tap your crank out? I was thinking a rubber mallet,because this crank is really stuck in there,and I don't wanna destroy the crank.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-14-2004, 08:27 PM
yes,i would recommend a rubber mallet,or a brass drift to remove the crank,it is critical that you dont mess up the threads on the flywheel side or bend the threaded part or you will have a whole lot of vibrating going on!!! :D using heat might mess up the bearings if you deside to reuse them,so try not to heat up the crank

Trikeaholic
02-15-2004, 09:54 AM
I was thinking it would be just like any jigsaw puzzle with instructions. So I will need to get the crank rebuilt. the parts motor I disassembled had broken cases from the rod whacking the bottom of the motor! not to mention the big hole from the chain. :x

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-15-2004, 10:02 AM
just had my crank rebuilt at the stealership,all oem parts,reused the rod(not bent) $60 for labor, $40 in parts,that included teardown,inspection,reassemble,trueing,and the parts i needed were the two washers,pin,and lower bearing,all was in stock!!!and done in one day!!!

TimSr
02-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Anybody want to see me do one blindfolded?

2 strokes without revers are pretty easy. The first trick is as soon as you get the cases apart, put duct tape on the ends of the gear shafts so the gears dont fall off. Each shaft with all the gears on it can be removed in one pice, and they are a lot easier to put back together that way.
If you use the 86 gear assemblies, you also need the 86 shifter drum with the worm grooves in it, and the 86 shifting forks. The parts will drop right in, as everything else is identical.

Trikeaholic
02-15-2004, 02:48 PM
wanna come over?? ill buy the beer!

hrc200x
02-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Here is my 350x motor about 10 months ago, its running great to this day. Before the tear down I'd read the manual a few times, I think that helped alot.

http://www.boreal.org/~kimball/motorHighquality.jpg