PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue Kawasaki klt200

TrickShot
06-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Had my 83 Kawasaki KLT200 parked for few years. It ran fine when parked. Have tried to get it started few months back and havr not have any luck. Took carb off cleaned it best I could at the time, was getting dark and was a rush job. When trying to start it now. It spits a lot of gas back into airbox, and will back fire now and then into airbox as well. Almost seems out of time, but seeing it ran when parked don't make sense. Have made a video showing what it's doing. Any ideas let me know. I know carb can be dirty still seeing it was a rush job cleaning, but why is it pushing fuel and flames into airbox?.

https://youtu.be/Rh9yLHefNqk

shortline10
06-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Do a compression test , might have a stuck intake valve , fire out the intake side usually means it’s firing while the intake side is open , also check your cam timing and flywheel woodruff key .

TrickShot
06-08-2018, 09:53 PM
I didn't think of that valve. Will have to check it this weekend. It's just seems to be pushing too much gas/air out, so that will be where I start. Thanks.

big specht
06-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Did you have a battery charger on it when you were trying it? Cause using a battery charger will screw with the electronic ignition especially with a really dead battery.

Dirtcrasher
06-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Mikes seen some good stuff!

Did you remove each jet, clean them, the passageways blown out and reinstalled? I won't lie, when I was 16 I thought cleaning the carb was just that, the outside and maybe the fuel bowl, but jets I knew nothing about 32 years ago...

It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people here!!

fabiodriven
06-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Do a compression test , might have a stuck intake valve , fire out the intake side usually means it’s firing while the intake side is open , also check your cam timing and flywheel woodruff key .

This is exactly what I was thinking when I watched the video.