PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm: Tap Threads Advice

Arky-X
05-29-2018, 01:14 PM
I need to tap or clean up the threads on the swingarm that are used adjusting the carrier (see pic below for the one I am referring.)

I tried the good bolt from the other side but I would have had to force it in which tells me I've stripped it.

Any do's/don'ts/advice/suggestions when attempting to re-tap this?
I have a die/tap set that I've used only once (freaking Craftsman lawnmower) so I thought I would get some pointers from the experts before I give it a go.

FYI: I stole the pic below from the interwebs....not my 350X.....not even close.

HyKlas
05-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Lots of anti-sieze (pack the flutes) and go slow. Go in a little, back it out a little, repeat. Get a set of (8) Lisle tap sockets as well... Makes life a lot easier.

ironchop
05-29-2018, 03:01 PM
I agree with this guy^^

Also if the tap has alot of lead, you can easily tap it crooked so just be sure that you're perpendicular to that counterbore step or totally inline with the hole front to back and side to side, while your going slow like 1/4 turn at a time backing off 1/8 turn each time

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

jb2wheels
05-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Go in a little, back it out a little, repeat. Get a set of (8) Lisle tap sockets as well... Makes life a lot easier.

Thanks - did not know about these. Good idea.

Rob Canadian
05-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Lots of anti-sieze (pack the flutes) and go slow. Go in a little, back it out a little, repeat. Get a set of (8) Lisle tap sockets as well... Makes life a lot easier.

Is this a common practice to pack the flutes with anti-sieze? Honestly I have never heard that myself. I have always used penetrating fluid as a cutting fluid. And yes don't go all the way on 1 shot. I go in a bit then whind the tap back out. Spray hole and clean tap and spray tap again. Repeat and go a bit more. Sounds like I am making Love to the thing. LOL.

HyKlas
05-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Common? Dunno... Can't say I've seen it done any other way. Here's my take on it... The chips and other gunk gets stuck and safely packed away in the tacky anti-sieze so there's much less chance of it getting chewed on again when working the tap. Muy importante when dealing with aluminum threads.

For cutting new threads, the anti-sieze becomes your enemy for obvious reasons. There's a lot more chips and you want them to go away, not get clogged up in your tap. For that I prefer a lightweight cutting paste like Slugger...

Arky-X
05-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've used my tap set for one other issue in an aluminum trans-axle in a lawnmower. Used an EZ-thread (alternative to heli-coil) and it went fine. Not seeing much material around this if I booger up the threads even more.

El Camexican
05-30-2018, 01:45 AM
Union Butterfield tapping fluid was the stuff to use for steel back in my shop days and for aluminum it was green DoAll Tool Saver.

If you aren't planning to drill because the threads are half decent you might try a non-cutting tap. I think they are called roll forming taps. All they do in this case is realign the existing threads without removing any material. Fantastic for aluminum threads. Might be your best bet for saving these.

Afterwards clean the treads of the housing and bolts very well and use blue thread locker. Don't torque them past the recommended force. If you need to remove them in the future heat the bolt heads with a torch first and run the tap through them again before reassembling.

ironchop
05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Union Butterfield tapping fluid....

I like Mrs Butterworth's pancake fluid.

It's part of a balanced breakfast before tapping stuff commences.

You shouldn't tap while hangry [emoji869]

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk