PDA

View Full Version : 250R's are pieces of junk, aren't they

markdb420
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I have had it with my POS 250r. This one I have is a damn lemon. I went and put on a new silencer and new 38mm air stryker. The first problem was that the water elbow on top of the cylinder head popped out. I went on and put my spare cylinder head on and new head gasket , and then the 250R died while testing it. Now it has coolant in the cylinder and every up stroke it brings more up thru the cylinder. I am over it. I am thinking that I should just part the POS out and try and recoup some of my money. New 450R 4 wheeler is sounding better all the time. I am done pouring more $$$ into this money PIT! It ia always something, and I am so tired of repairing this when I want to go riding.

What should I do?

Andrew
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
U should buy a KAWASAKI a TECATE to be exact,it will serve you well,DAMN honda's,theyre Junk -D

KASEY
02-15-2004, 05:03 PM
sounds like your spare head is not flat,,, and i thought i saw you post about a big bore gasket,,, are you sure you have all the right parts????
there is no rocket science to head gaskets,, if the head is flat and you have the right gasket i have seen very few failures,, unless the cylinder is warped too,,,,,,,,,,,

84250r
02-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Remember your machine is 19 years old. Doesnt matter what you get or what brand you have, you will have problems either way.

markdb420
02-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Kasey it is all in good shape, what has happened is the coolant has gotten down in the cylinder, I guess??? Everytime I put it together to check it, it fouls plugs with Coolant, by like the 3rd kick. This is so aggrivating, and it ran like a scalded dog yesterday. I tried making my gasket smaller as the guy in my previous post recommended. It is just more than I want to deal with. I guess I'll just keep the 400ex and not worry about having something fast.

markdb420
02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah, you couldn't give me a Tecate, my buddy is selling his 2 because he is tired of owning something that he cannot ever ride. It is terrible!

TimSr
02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
I havent found a liquid cooled trike, bike, or quad yet that wont give you the same problems if head is warped, cylinder is warped, gasket leaks or is bad, impropertly torqued or just not installed properly, so your likely to see this problem with anything, unless your trading for an air cooled 4 stroke, in which youll get a whole different set of difficulties.

markdb420
02-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Well, should I take apart the topend and send it to a pro to have top end refreshed, and checked to make sure the head and cylinder aren't warped? I haven't had a problem up till yesterday. The motor was screaming and no head gasket leaks. It doesn't seem to need rebuilding, but what do I know. This problem only happened when I tried to use my spare head while my main head was being fixed. The one on the motor is larger dome and larger diameter opening than the spare. I have gone and put new head gasket on after getting old head repaired and still having a coolant fouling plug problem with zero coolant in the system. Got my buggin man, I swear, owning a 2 stroke is like my experiences with owning Chevys. You need to be a good mechanic, and I ain't too good! LOL

nitekrawler
02-15-2004, 05:48 PM
U should buy a KAWASAKI a TECATE to be exact,it will serve you well,DAMN honda's,theyre Junk :-D

2 yrs, nothing wrong with mine. Honda's are made very well.

nitekrawler
02-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Well, should I take apart the topend and send it to a pro to have top end refreshed, and checked to make sure the head and cylinder aren't warped? I haven't had a problem up till yesterday. The motor was screaming and no head gasket leaks. It doesn't seem to need rebuilding, but what do I know. This problem only happened when I tried to use my spare head while my main head was being fixed. The one on the motor is larger dome and larger diameter opening than the spare. I have gone and put new head gasket on after getting old head repaired and still having a coolant fouling plug problem with zero coolant in the system. Got my buggin man, I swear, owning a 2 stroke is like my experiences with owning Chevys. You need to be a good mechanic, and I ain't too good! LOL

Now, I agree with the chevy comment :!: Selling my Suburban as we speak

atckowalski
02-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Make sure that there isn't any coolant left over in the crankcase, if there is it make work its way up and foul your plug out. If not, just take awhile to cool off, once you do, you will realize that you still love your wife, I mean TRIKE ;)

markdb420
02-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, how do I get the coolant out of the crankcase?

I guess this problem is taking me to the woodshed!

Trikeaholic
02-15-2004, 06:27 PM
wanna sell it?? :D

KASEY
02-15-2004, 06:42 PM
LMOA@ HOLIC!!!!!!

get a 5 foot long peice of clear tubing and suck the koolant out of the crankcase ,,,or just tip the trike over and pour it out,,,,,,,,,,

Red Rider
02-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Gravity is a great tool to have in your tool box.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-15-2004, 08:00 PM
U should buy a KAWASAKI a TECATE to be exact,it will serve you well,DAMN honda's,theyre Junk :-D

exactly what i was gonna say...my tecate is always up and running the best running 3-wheeler ive ever seen and it is really reliable..only worries is when will my next stator go out...so i just stopped running lights :-P

Kaysen
02-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I agree with holic, I wouldn't mind the drive at all. wink Seriously, Kaysen lol

twgranger
02-15-2004, 11:08 PM
You need a yamaha. ;)

markdb420
02-15-2004, 11:21 PM
No thanks on the Yamaha, my buddy's needs almost constant repairs as does my R and my friends Tecate!

They all seem like piles of dung! LOL

Hey they are all 2 smokes and that requires being a mechanic!

Domingo
02-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Is it an 86 250r? If so I will take the rear caliper off your hands if you are going to part it out. Let me know.

TRI-Zbrian
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
No thanks on the Yamaha, my buddy's needs almost constant repairs as does my R and my friends Tecate!

They all seem like piles of dung! LOL

Hey they are all 2 smokes and that requires being a mechanic!

like said before your machine is almost 20 years old what do you expect ? things dont last forever man..... id bet if you gave it a proper rebuild like it deserves and if done right it will work out for you. i dont expect an almost 20 year old machine to be flawless.... its not the Rs fault its the people that have owned it not doing the proper maintinence on the dam thing :rolleyes:

82atc110
02-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Sounds like a POS, give ya a $100 and I will even pick it up

nitekrawler
02-16-2004, 01:46 AM
Sounds like a POS, give ya a $100 and I will even pick it up

I'll even throw in a Costco Dog :!: 8)

markdb420
02-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah it has almost totally been redone, just kills me that it keeps taking more$$$$. It is worse than a boat. I think that I'll get it running and sell it locally, so that I can get big $$$ for it! LOL

You guys with the ridiculous low ball offers kill me! :rolleyes:

For $100 I'll let you look at it! Maybe even ride it.

I think my buddy will give me atleast $1500 for it as it sits now, without fixing it, but then he knows how well I take care of stuff.

It snowed last night and the 400EX is kicking butt in the snow.

J.D.
02-16-2004, 12:22 PM
250R's are pieces of junk, aren't they

Yes, yes they are. Sell it and buy yourself a Tri-Z.

nitekrawler
02-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Like someone said, it depends on how it was taken care for the last 20 yrs. I have no problems after fixing mine up. Thats why I bought another :-D

1985 200s
02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
You need to be a good mechanic, and I ain't too good! LOL
;)

Red Rider
02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
markdb420 wrote:
250R's are pieces of junk, aren't they

SSJ3Goku wrote:
Yes, yes they are. Sell it and buy yourself a Tri-Z.

When you get the new Tri-Z, don't forget to buy a bunch of head gaskets. Isn't that right Goku?

sportvette
02-16-2004, 05:09 PM
havent had any trouble with my R.

3WheelsForever
02-16-2004, 05:13 PM
How about some info on these T3s your buddy is selling?? Years?

markdb420
02-16-2004, 05:17 PM
The T-3's are 1984 models. He says that he is going to sell them, but I am not sure. One runs good and the other has good motor and is his parts bike. He has a mikuni TMX carb with the parts bike. He says that he wants something to ride and not worry about. I recommended a 4 stroke.

rippn250R
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
You guys are crazy!!!!! The liquid cooled 250R's are the greatest trikes ever made!!!!, just look at the trx250r its the same engine as the ATC's.Honda's are the most reliable machines ever made.You must have a lemon. Its something stupid that you're overlooking. Dont get rid of it. The Tecates and Tri-z's are awsome but not nearly as good as the 85/86 250R's.

J.D.
02-17-2004, 01:44 AM
When you get the new Tri-Z, don't forget to buy a bunch of head gaskets. Isn't that right Goku?

Hey hey now! That was the idiot who put it together's fault! Not the machine ;)

Red Rider
02-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Hey hey now! That was the idiot who put it together's fault! Not the machine ;)
Goku, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :-P Anyway, good luck with the head gasket problem.

sportvette
02-17-2004, 08:34 AM
just when i said i didnt have trouble. my brother says the bike is loosing coolant from either the head gasket or the gasket at the bottom or the cylinder.

Kel
02-17-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm the original owner of an 86R. I left it stock and the only thing I've done is put rings in it. I just replaced the swingarm but that was something I broke not something that broke down. I used to jump alot and that cracked out the swingarm. I've never raced it but I've never babied it. This is one reliable machine. Now that I'm a family man it might sit for 6 months but it always fires up and runs. This ol' girl has taken me on alot of great rides for years and it still does. Kel.

Atc_Rider_200X_250R
02-17-2004, 11:20 AM
250r's kick ass :twisted: [/b]

Red Rider
02-17-2004, 06:10 PM
just when i said i didnt have trouble. my brother says the bike is loosing coolant from either the head gasket or the gasket at the bottom or the cylinder.
Sportvette, If you pulled your cylinder off of the bottom end, put it on your workbench and filled the waterjacket with water, it still wouldn't leak from the bottom of the cylinder. On your 250R & Tecate, coolant gets to the cylinder via a radiator hose, not a passage from the waterpump-to-bottom end-to-cylinder (like late model motocrossers). Your leak must be coming from the head gasket, a radiator hose, or possibly a crack in the cylinder itself.

84250r
02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
I just wish my Tri-Z was taken care of a little better then it was! Some people dont have respect for there machines. Just beat on them for a good 1-3 years(with out proper maintaining) then sell'em like a damn gold mine. :rolleyes: Its hard to find a good maintained T3,250R,or Z.