PDA

View Full Version : Tracking down a noise in my '85 250r...

HyKlas
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM
This is the first 2 stroke I've owned in over 15 years so I'm not too keen on all the clatter these things make. Even though that's the case, it still seems like this thing is making more racket than it should. It's a rattle that happens cold or warm, idle or high rpm, all of the time basically.

I pulled the engine out and removed both side covers. The only thing I can see is that there is a bit of side to side wobble motion in the kicker gear on the shaft. Like there's too much clearance between the gear and shaft. It has also rubbed a bit on the rib inside the clutch cover.

Already know I need to do something about the kicker since every once in a while it doesn't engage. From the little I've read, this is a common problem on '85s...

Either way, is it possible I'm getting the rattle from the wobble in the kicker gear? Something else I should be looking at?

shortline10
05-06-2018, 12:43 PM
The counter balancers get noisy when the bearings have wear .
Could also be excessive piston slap .

HyKlas
05-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Have heard that one as well. Seems louder on the right side of the bike though. But from years of being an auto mechanic, I know sounds aren't necessarily loudest where they originate from...

yaegerb
05-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Have heard that one as well. Seems louder on the right side of the bike though. But from years of being an auto mechanic, I know sounds aren't necessarily loudest where they originate from...

That’s the bearing that goes out in the counterbalancer. The right side bearing behind the gear.

HyKlas
05-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Makes sense, that's the one which would have the most load on it. I'll pull it tonight and see what's up.

HyKlas
05-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Few other random bits that need fixin'... That stator really chaps my butt since the 3rd bolt and bottom piece weren't even in there. Guess the last guy figured it was okay.

ironchop
05-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Few other random bits that need fixin'... That stator really chaps my butt since the 3rd bolt and bottom piece weren't even in there. Guess the last guy figured it was okay.

WOW! That was a stator explosion waiting to happen. Good thing you caught that now rather than later. thanks

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Red Rider
05-06-2018, 10:36 PM
While your in the stator side, check the tightness of the flywheel-to-center hub rivets. Those can get loose & cause quite a racket too.

HyKlas
05-07-2018, 01:47 AM
Rivets are a little rusty on the outside but seem tight.

Looks like this gear tooth was left in the case from a previous repair as I can't seem to find where it goes. Good thing it didn't get eaten!

Red Rider
05-07-2018, 03:06 AM
After everything you've found, I'd be wondering what else is still lurking. If it were mine, it would be time to split the cases, and send in a recon team. You've already dodged some bullets, why take the chance that this thing is done shooting at you?

HyKlas
05-07-2018, 12:01 PM
You know it... Ordered the Tusk case splitter and crank puller kit before I even found this stuff. We'll be doing a full inspection and refresh of everything. I'm definitely a "while you're in there" kind of guy...

Red Rider
05-07-2018, 12:58 PM
You know it... Ordered the Tusk case splitter and crank puller kit before I even found this stuff. We'll be doing a full inspection and refresh of everything. I'm definitely a "while you're in there" kind of guy...Good going! I like the way you think.

ironchop
05-07-2018, 03:32 PM
You know it... Ordered the Tusk case splitter and crank puller kit before I even found this stuff. We'll be doing a full inspection and refresh of everything. I'm definitely a "while you're in there" kind of guy...Take pics and post up.... especially if there's more carnage to be found.

HyKlas
05-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Everyone wants to see carnage! Except me... ;)

Found where that tooth goes. It's off 1st gear... Crazy how it made it all the way out to the clutch cover without getting chewed on.

ironchop
05-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Everyone wants to see carnage! Except me... ;)

Found where that tooth goes. It's off 1st gear... Crazy how it made it all the way out to the clutch cover without getting chewed on.

It's good you caught it though, because that would have led to way more carnage soon enough. You got lucky there.

HyKlas
05-18-2018, 01:19 AM
Finally got the cases split... Everything looks pretty good, bearings are all nice 'n' tight, no seal grooves worn on anything, just that broken tooth. Not sure if I really want to refresh the bearings or leave them alone... Maybe just the crank. That would save me hundreds since I'd have to go buy a blind bearing puller.

Have to do a bit of research on swapping the kicker over to '86+ stuff since this one slips every now and again. What a lovely feeling that is, jamming the arch of your foot in to the peg. A little break for thoughts...

Where does that bolt go?