PDA

View Full Version : im switching tires

Tri-Z dude
12-07-2002, 02:16 PM
im switching from stryker (22x11-8) to a fast trekker (18x11-8)
for my 84 225 DX
and opinions
Ben

skippy
12-07-2002, 05:04 PM
sounds like a good idea...your going to lose alot of top end though.. and gain a bumpy ride... is that ok.? will get much better cornering and handling,,..

Tri-Z dude
12-07-2002, 11:20 PM
thanx for trailprotrailpro opinion skippy
come on people i want more opinions
i want abunch of opins on the switching tires man
Ben

Cahdealme
12-11-2002, 04:59 AM
What type of terrain do you ride? Alot of the places we ride aroud here have mud and ruts, so the larger tires with deeper tread have more benifits.

Wickedfinger
12-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Dude, switching from 22" tires to 18" on a YTM225DX will be the biggest waste of money and time you could ever do to yourself. Since the trike is shaft drive and the final drive ratio is fixed (with the exception of changing tire size), your loosing 4" of outside diameter and a full 18.5% off your top speed. Unless you're going to race it on a closed course MX track where the speeds never get above 30 mph and there are NO rocks or roots to get hung up on - you'll be miserable.

MustangChris
12-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Can't go wrong with some Gators.

Tri-Z dude
12-13-2002, 01:36 AM
i want it on a MX track
i live out in the country on a gravel road and speed isnt really my deal
i just want power for a track
Ben

3WheelHouston
12-13-2002, 02:31 AM
The 225 DX has plenty of torque with the stock size as is, for any jump that suspension can handle. If you want to be able to slide it around better I'd suggest trying to get bigger rims so you have less sidewall and then going with something less knobby. If you want to MX you have the wrong bike. The DX's suspension can't handle alot of jumping very well. I'm not trying to insult your ride because I have one and they're great machines, and I tried to jump it and all of that because I had nothing else and bottomed out before I really started getting air. You need to sell it and get a sport trike if you want to take it to the track. A DX isn't light enough or well enough suspended for all of that. However, if you still wanna make a go of it, I also suggest strengthening the battery basket (the place the battery sits; I don't know the proper name) because after jumping mine alot the battery came loose. Some large hose clamps all the way around the battery and cage will really do you some good. Other than that make sure you take it easy at first and have fun. Be careful cause that booger will get traction suddenly and come up on you too! And have fun. :-D