PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clutch Roller Assymbly

Mach-10
04-01-2018, 04:54 PM
My 1984 YTM 225 DX has never strated using the electric start since I have owned it. I pulled the starter clutch roller assembly and the three bolts that hold it together were sheered off. I replaced it with a different one from a motor I had laying around. I put it back together and the was a loud knocking sound coming from the side of the case that the starter clutch roller assembly is in. I drained the oil and pulled the side again and the starter clutch roller assembly did not seem to be on the whole way. I figured the key was wore out so I replaced it with a tighter fitting one. I put it back together and actually tapped the starter clutch roller assembly on with a rubber mallet. It seemed to be on good. I put it all back together and same thing. There is a loud knocking sound. I imagine the starter clutch roller assembly isn’t on again. Any ideas at what is causing this ? Thanks

Ghostv2
04-02-2018, 04:54 PM
The starter clutch is a common problem with them. That’s what killed my first dx, clutch failed and you’d try and pull the recoil and you’d be fighting the electric motor and it’s gearing. It’s common for the bolts to back out, only fix is make sure all the parts fit within spec and blue locktite on the bolts i would imagine.