PDA

View Full Version : 84 250R big bore UPDATED!!!!

ejc042
02-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I have a 300R head and cylinder that I am getting for my air cooled R. Does anyone know if the piston kits are still available from Honda, or is there an aftermarket piston for this.

R6XTERRA
02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
I think everyone has exhausted their resources to find a piston for the air cooled 250r's. However, you may probably get a company to custom make one for you....Is it really worth the price though?

Jeff

Trikeaholic
02-13-2004, 02:20 PM
LA sleeve will get it going. They have new sleeves and pistons, just email them, they will tell you the same thing. Im sending mine out there! So, dust off all those old kits and drop them in the mail! Seeing as a complete kit sold for around $500 on ebay, and the jugs and heads are laying around all over and everyone thinks they are just paperweigts, Im thinking someone with a little brains could send a boatload of them out to la sleeve and sell them completed units on ebay for a tidy profit. Now only to find old cyls and heads, and id be in business.

R6XTERRA
02-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Trikeaholic,

I like your thinking. hahaha. $$$$$. Yes they go pretty steep for a complete kit.

Ps. I new LA sleeve did them...just wasn't sure how much. Did you get a quote?

Jeff

Trikeaholic
02-13-2004, 05:14 PM
no, but im sure its not $500! and even if it is, thats the breaks, the dead kits go for peanuts.

atc86r
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
patriotracing.net can do it using a pro-x piston. I've emailed him about it and he's going to shoot me an email with the details so I can post it here. I knew it was possible but never really checked into it. Maybe I can sell my big bore paper weight now.

atc86r
02-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Looking at his website. Says the watercooled r's will have a new cylinder available soon. 510r :D

ejc042
02-18-2004, 09:46 AM
I have contacted several shops(patriotracing, trinity, etc).
LA Sleeve--said they had no pistons, SORRY.
No response from a couple of them yet.
Patriot racings reply:
We use a piston from a TRX-R Niks Pro-X cylinder. The cylinder and head have to
be machined to get the correct deck heighth and squish clearance- but- its
actually not a whole lot of work to get it done. Then the cylinder must have
the ports corrected, but we recommend to port the cylinder instead.

Pistons run from $129.95 to $139.95 depending on bore size
Cylinder boring is $48
Cylinder machining is $45
Head work is $75
Cylinder and head lapping is $35
Cylinder port correction is $75
Optional Cylinder porting is $150 (this eliminates the need for port matching)

So for $407.95 you get your cylinder back ready to run- with bore sizes
available from the standard 76mm up to a max of 79.5mm For $482.95 that would
include cylinder porting as well.
CT Racing has some info to get me, they may be the best so far. I will psot when I have more info from them.

Dirtsquirt
02-18-2004, 10:03 PM
If you decide to go with a rebuild/port then go through Dan... You'll have no complaints with his customer service and all praise for his port work :twisted:

If you go through him tell him Dirtsquirt sent ya :)

-dirt

Trikeaholic
02-18-2004, 11:12 PM
I have contacted several shops(patriotracing, trinity, etc).
LA Sleeve--said they had no pistons, SORRY.
No response from a couple of them yet.
Patriot racings reply:
We use a piston from a TRX-R Niks Pro-X cylinder. The cylinder and head have to
be machined to get the correct deck heighth and squish clearance- but- its
actually not a whole lot of work to get it done. Then the cylinder must have
the ports corrected, but we recommend to port the cylinder instead.

Pistons run from $129.95 to $139.95 depending on bore size
Cylinder boring is $48
Cylinder machining is $45
Head work is $75
Cylinder and head lapping is $35
Cylinder port correction is $75
Optional Cylinder porting is $150 (this eliminates the need for port matching)

So for $407.95 you get your cylinder back ready to run- with bore sizes
available from the standard 76mm up to a max of 79.5mm For $482.95 that would
include cylinder porting as well.
CT Racing has some info to get me, they may be the best so far. I will psot when I have more info from them.

thats not what LA sleeve told me! here is their email to me:

Hello there. You are right there are alot of those cylinders still out there and Honda has discontinued selling the pistons and cylinders. But we have found a solution. One thing, is I do still have sleeves for those cylinders. The other is that I have a piston that will work for the cylinder. The only thing is that you have to do some cylinder modifications. I also have a top end gasket kit for that cylinder. To sum it up, we can still make the motor run. If there are any more questions email me or call me. Have a good day.

Nick Metchkoff
Cylinder Rebuild Division
cyldept@lasleeve.com
562-945-7578 ext 65

I got this email about 3 months ago.

ejc042
02-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Holic, did you ever get any pricing from LA Sleeve? If so, could you post it here. If we can find a cost effective way to make the 300R kit work, a lot of people will be happy.

atc86r
02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Dan is the man. Anyone who has dealt with him give him high praise. Good turnaround time also. He emailed me and said he was willing to give a price break. He sent me an attachment. How do I get it on here?