PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r rear caliper Question?

Chopperdad
02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Are there any block off plates available for the rear caliper? You know so you cn take off the crap for the parking brake. If there are, who sells them? The rear caliper is good except all the park brake stuff is rotted and leaking.

Jeb
02-12-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm replacing all my parking brake stuff. I got some super deals on ebay for the cable and all the parts. It was complete, next to new and dirt cheap! just over 5 bux for all of it and that included the shipping.

anyway I know the calipers pretty good now. I ordered new piston and dust seals and the o-ring for the e-brake shaft. Also the gasket for the parking brake. All from service honda was 17. New pads and I should have a practically new caliper. In your case I have to wonder that just putting a block off plate on might not stop the leaking with out replacing the damaged o-ring.

On a funny note, my original ebrake was froze up and in bad shape and the original cable all froze up too so I had to cut it to get it apart. When I got it all disassemble, I dropped all the pieces in a small tub of WD40 to soak and left it for a couple days. When I came back and took the stuff out to clean on it, I noticed the rubber seal cover that goes over the center section of the praking brake bracket swelled to almost twice it's original size! It would completely cover all the way across both mounting screws! It has slowly shrank back down allot, but is still a good bit bigger than the newer one I got in the other day. I've never seen WD40 swell a rubber part like that.

:D

Chopperdad
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey Jeb, By putting on the block off plate you eliminate the o-ring and the shaft so it cannot leak there anymore. Anyone know where I can find a plate?

by the way you don't loose braking power by taking off the park brake crap. It still has the same braking power. I have done it on a lt230e and worked great. Park brakes suck.

Jeb
02-12-2004, 11:28 PM
James Lucky has them. Probably Dennis Kirk too.

www.jlatvproducts.com

www.denniskirk.com

TimSr
02-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Is it different than the 86 TRX250R? On mine I just took the parking brake arm and shaft out of the caliper, and found a rubber cap that fit over the hole. The parking brake was strictly mechanical so there was nothing to leak. Some duct tape would have accomplished the same thing.

Jeb
02-13-2004, 12:38 AM
That's what I was saying. You should be able to take the whole e-brake off and the caliper still operate with out leaking a drop. without having a cover plate. Thats the way my R is right now. No e-brake stuff even bolted to it and the caliper functions just fine. I do have a leak out of my main piston seals on mine because I disassembled and then reassembled without changing the seals! :shock: ! :D . The point I was making and jeswinehart before me was that if your caliper is leaking through the parking brake, whether all that stuff is rotten or not, the internal o-ring is bad. But maybe using a block off plate with a sealed gasket is back door fix to a leaking parking brake shaft o-ring.

nitekrawler
02-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Jeb and John are right. :-D Been there :-D 8)

KASEY
02-13-2004, 01:41 AM
ok,, you can take the park brake stuff off.. but if its leaking out the park brake side you will have to replace the o ring seal cause the small shaft sticking out is part of the rear piston ,,,, on one of my calipers i sawed off the arm that holds the cable and sanded it smooth ,, them filled the hole with silicone it works great,,,

nitekrawler
02-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Its a pain to put back together. Although, I have no leaks (yet) I am not 100% sure if my small shaft o-ring went on right, lol :!:

atc86r
02-13-2004, 10:50 AM
I bought miney for $10 at local shop. They're universal. Get the plate.

Chopperdad
02-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I finally found them from Duncan Racing. $14 and doesn't matter if o-ring is leaking because it seals it off. Thanks for the input.

nitekrawler
02-13-2004, 11:10 PM
http://www.jlatvproducts.com/catalog/index.htm