PDA

View Full Version : white residue 250r exhaust.

threewheelin-feelin
02-07-2018, 02:23 AM
this white residue is coolant correct? blown head gasket correct? also the reeds in my 310r keep doing this...these reeds pictured have between 6 and 8 hours on them. is this normal?

fabiodriven
02-07-2018, 02:42 AM
Likely coolant, yes, and no, broken reeds are not normal.

bkm
02-07-2018, 08:21 AM
this white residue is coolant correct? blown head gasket correct? also the reeds in my 310r keep doing this...these reeds pictured have between 6 and 8 hours on them. is this normal?

Put the factory reed stops back on. The reeds are opening too far and hitting the inside of the intake tract and breaking the corners off. Personally, I hate carbon reeds and run fiberglass with the factory stops still attached.

yaegerb
02-07-2018, 10:03 AM
X2.........

threewheelin-feelin
02-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Put the factory reed stops back on. The reeds are opening too far and hitting the inside of the intake tract and breaking the corners off. Personally, I hate carbon reeds and run fiberglass with the factory stops still attached.

what kinda reeds do you recommend. this is a esr 310 reed block. i will have to find reed stops...why do people remove them anyway?

bkm
02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
what kinda reeds do you recommend. this is a esr 310 reed block. i will have to find reed stops...why do people remove them anyway?I ran a cr250 reed cage with boysen fiber reeds and factory reed stops on my ESR 310. I'm not sure if the ESR block uses the same reed as the oem cage? People take them off because they think the reeds will open further and make more power. It's the "it's a stock part so there has to be something better" mentality. I'm guilty of it myself until I had the same problem as you.

threewheelin-feelin
02-08-2018, 11:34 PM
what year cr250 reed cage fits the esr cylinder?

bkm
02-09-2018, 08:54 AM
what year cr250 reed cage fits the esr cylinder?
Any year will work from 85-01. I ran an 86 in mine with the factory stuffer. The esr cylinders will accept any of the 85-89 atc/trx cages and most of the cr250 cages.

The dirtbike stuff of the late 80's into the 90's was hard to improve on from the factory. They were pretty much race machines out of the box and if you can get anything from a dirt bike of that era to work on any atc/atv, you'd be ahead of the game. My 1986 CR250 was about as close as you could get to a public available Factory Works Bike of that era. The lightweight fasteners, magnesium brake drum and clutch cover, aluminum engine mounts, the cartidge forks from Showa, and the bolts machined down in the center to remove weight. That was all Factory race stuff the years before that. It was a copy of the 1985 Factory Works bike and they sold it to the public because teams could no longer field one off 50k bikes due to AMA rules. So Honda decided to make their works bike a production bike. That's when all the factories started putting all their best stuff on the 2 wheelers and using the heavy detuned stuff on their ATC's and Atv's. Sorry to get off on a tangent here, but I really like using the 2 wheeler stuff where ever possible.

threewheelin-feelin
02-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Any year will work from 85-01. I ran an 86 in mine with the factory stuffer. The esr cylinders will accept any of the 85-89 atc/trx cages and most of the cr250 cages.

The dirtbike stuff of the late 80's into the 90's was hard to improve on from the factory. They were pretty much race machines out of the box and if you can get anything from a dirt bike of that era to work on any atc/atv, you'd be ahead of the game. My 1986 CR250 was about as close as you could get to a public available Factory Works Bike of that era. The lightweight fasteners, magnesium brake drum and clutch cover, aluminum engine mounts, the cartidge forks from Showa, and the bolts machined down in the center to remove weight. That was all Factory race stuff the years before that. It was a copy of the 1985 Factory Works bike and they sold it to the public because teams could no longer field one off 50k bikes due to AMA rules. So Honda decided to make their works bike a production bike. That's when all the factories started putting all their best stuff on the 2 wheelers and using the heavy detuned stuff on their ATC's and Atv's. Sorry to get off on a tangent here, but I really like using the 2 wheeler stuff where ever possible.

no i love the info. i want as much as i can get

bkm
02-09-2018, 08:02 PM
I actually got to look at your pictures on a computer and the reed stops aren't your problem. Is there a center divider in that block to keep the center pedals from touching each other? That has two sets of reeds kinda like a V-Force correct?

threewheelin-feelin
02-12-2018, 12:53 AM
I actually got to look at your pictures on a computer and the reed stops aren't your problem. Is there a center divider in that block to keep the center pedals from touching each other? That has two sets of reeds kinda like a V-Force correct?

yes they are like v force. 2 sets. no divider

threewheelin-feelin
02-13-2018, 10:50 PM
anymore ideas?

Rob Canadian
02-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Are you going through coolant? Guessing you are. What are you using as far as coolant? Name brand and mixture?

threewheelin-feelin
02-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Are you going through coolant? Guessing you are. What are you using as far as coolant? Name brand and mixture?

havent run it enough to know if its loosing coolant but i think we have figured that out. trying to figure out the reed issue now. i did forget to mention that this is the second set of reeds to do this... the last set had around 40 hours on them

yaegerb
02-14-2018, 09:07 PM
I don’t get it, figure what out? BKM told you above exactly what to get concerning your reed issue.

bkm
02-14-2018, 09:26 PM
havent run it enough to know if its loosing coolant but i think we have figured that out. trying to figure out the reed issue now. i did forget to mention that this is the second set of reeds to do this... the last set had around 40 hours on themIt's a bad design magnified by carbon reeds. There is no center divider and the center reed pedals are bouncing off of each other. You'll continue to have this problem until you ditch the esr block.

threewheelin-feelin
02-14-2018, 10:22 PM
I don’t get it, figure what out? BKM told you above exactly what to get concerning your reed issue.

he said he got a better look at it and then asked if it was like vforce reeds..i was seeing if there was anything else to add to it

threewheelin-feelin
02-14-2018, 10:25 PM
It's a bad design magnified by carbon reeds. There is no center divider and the center reed pedals are bouncing off of each other. You'll continue to have this problem until you ditch the esr block.

ok so the v force will have this same problem? i should go back to stock reed block or a stock cr250 reed block

bkm
02-14-2018, 10:53 PM
ok so the v force will have this same problem? i should go back to stock reed block or a stock cr250 reed blockAny carbon reed is gonna require you to keep an eye on them no matter the reed block. It's just the nature of the beast. The vforce has a center divider to keep the reeds from touching each other and they do make good power, but they are carbon fiber and are prone to deterioration at a faster pace. Personally, I like the cr250 cages better with the fiberglass reeds, but that's just me.

threewheelin-feelin
02-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Any carbon reef is gonna require you to keep an eye on them no matter the reed block. It's just the nature of the beast. The vforce has a center divider to keep the reeds from touching each other and they do make good power, but they are carbon fiber and are prone to deterioration at a faster pace. Personally, I like the cr250 cages better with the fiberglass reeds, but that's just me.

ok thanks for all the info...now i found a new item to ask about after splitting my cases...whats up with this gear