PDA

View Full Version : Tecate experts

99gsxr750
01-31-2018, 05:49 PM
How do you remove the needle bearings from the cantilever/rocker that shock mounts to? It looks like its not a spacer between the two, so it can't be pressed out from one side to the other. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Mike

3 Wheel Drive
01-31-2018, 06:12 PM
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/atv/1986/tecate-kxt250-b1/rear-suspension

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/atv/1985/tecate-kxt250-a2/rear-suspension-85-a2

Clean any dirt out of the way with brake clean & soak it with pb blaster or Kroil. Use a large socket and tap it out with a hammer.

99gsxr750
01-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Ok, but do you tap them out from one side to the other? The inside of the cantilever has what looks to be a ridge or seat. I don't want to start tapping in the wrong direction. Even the Kawasaki service manual doesn't explain the procedure.

3 Wheel Drive
01-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Try hitting it on the right side, id say you got a 50/50 chance. :D

FPMXer
01-31-2018, 09:03 PM
I just replaced all the swingarm and carrier bearings. I used a socket just smaller than the hole and big enough to cover the bearings with an extension and drove them out. Then pressed the new bearings in. It also helps to measure how deep they are before driving them out.

christph
02-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Why do you want to remove them? If you are just looking to clean them, I'd just leave them in and use WD-40 or carburetor cleaner (careful, carburetor cleaner removes paint). If you need to remove them because they are damaged, you might try a blind face bearing removal tool. It's a tool you use to remove bearings when you can only get access them from one side.

99gsxr750
02-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Why do you want to remove them? If you are just looking to clean them, I'd just leave them in and use WD-40 or carburetor cleaner (careful, carburetor cleaner removes paint). If you need to remove them because they are damaged, you might try a blind face bearing removal tool. It's a tool you use to remove bearings when you can only get access them from one side.

The whole 3 wheeler is torn down for powdercoat, so I want to replace all seals and bearing in the process. Besides, they're 30 year old bearings, so I figured why not?

just ben
02-01-2018, 08:52 AM
They usually have to be cut out

Red Rider
02-01-2018, 03:45 PM
If you're talking about the Uni-Trak rocker arm, and an 86-87 Tecate, there is no ridge in between the needle bearings. When I removed these, I didn't want to press from one side to the other. If you do that, you'll be pressing one bearing into the other, and then have to deal with the force of pressing 2 bearings out at the same time. So, I removed each bearing from it's respective side.

I made a special bearing puller for just such occasions:
1. Long bolt with small diameter hex head that fits inside bearing to be removed.
2. Thick washer with outside diameter that fits inside bearing to be removed.
3. Thick washer, cut in half, with outside diameter the same as outside diameter of bearing to be removed.
4. Thick washer with outside diameter larger than outside diameter of bearing to be removed.
5. Coupler nut.

Spread some thick grease on the inside edges of the needle bearings. Carefully slide both #3's down through the needle bearing to be removed, and lock them up against the inside edge of the needle bearing. Slide #2 onto #1. Slip threaded end of #1 through both #3's and through the needle bearing. Slip on #4, and screw on #5, and tighten to remove the bearing. Once the bearing is flush with the outside edge, remove #5 & #4, and put a socket, with a large enough inside diameter, on the end and reinstall #4 & #5. Continue tightening to remove the bearing.

oldskool83
02-01-2018, 07:44 PM
They wear out..delrin upgrades with a sleeve in better option for the next 30 year.

99gsxr750
02-01-2018, 09:30 PM
If you're talking about the Uni-Trak rocker arm, and an 86-87 Tecate, there is no ridge in between the needle bearings. When I removed these, I didn't want to press from one side to the other. If you do that, you'll be pressing one bearing into the other, and then have to deal with the force of pressing 2 bearings out at the same time. So, I removed each bearing from it's respective side.

I made a special bearing puller for just such occasions:
1. Long bolt with small diameter hex head that fits inside bearing to be removed.
2. Thick washer with outside diameter that fits inside bearing to be removed.
3. Thick washer, cut in half, with outside diameter the same as outside diameter of bearing to be removed.
4. Thick washer with outside diameter larger than outside diameter of bearing to be removed.
5. Coupler nut.

Spread some thick grease on the inside edges of the needle bearings. Carefully slide both #3's down through the needle bearing to be removed, and lock them up against the inside edge of the needle bearing. Slide #2 onto #1. Slip threaded end of #1 through both #3's and through the needle bearing. Slip on #4, and screw on #5, and tighten to remove the bearing. Once the bearing is flush with the outside edge, remove #5 & #4, and put a socket, with a large enough inside diameter, on the end and reinstall #4 & #5. Continue tightening to remove the bearing.

Thanks Red Rider. That's exactly what I was looking for. Are the 86/87 rocker arms the same as the 84/85? This a first gen that someone put a second gen swingarm on. I had the mount for the dog bone moved to the right location on the swingarm but I'm not sure what rocker they used.

Red Rider
02-02-2018, 03:58 AM
Thanks Red Rider. That's exactly what I was looking for. Are the 86/87 rocker arms the same as the 84/85? This a first gen that someone put a second gen swingarm on. I had the mount for the dog bone moved to the right location on the swingarm but I'm not sure what rocker they used.From what I understand, the rocker arms are different from 1st gen. to 2nd gen., with the first gen. shock/rocker being centered, and the 2nd gens. being offset to the side, thus the offset dog-bone mount on the 86/87 swingarms. That being said, I am by no means a Tecate expert, but I happen to have my friend’s 86 Tecate, that I disassembled, in my garage. I’m just learning as I go, and this forum has been a tremendous help.

99gsxr750
02-02-2018, 08:35 AM
From what I understand, the rocker arms are different from 1st gen. to 2nd gen., with the first gen. shock/rocker being centered, and the 2nd gens. being offset to the side, thus the offset dog-bone mount on the 86/87 swingarms. That being said, I am by no means a Tecate expert, but I happen to have my friend’s 86 Tecate, that I disassembled, in my garage. I’m just learning as I go, and this forum has been a tremendous help.

After comparing your pic of your rocker to my mine, it looks like I have a 1st gen. I would swear there's a seat or ridge inside mine for the bearing. Either way with your method, it should't matter.
Worse case if I can't get it done, I'll see if there's a machine shop that can.

Red Rider
02-02-2018, 03:00 PM
After comparing your pic of your rocker to my mine, it looks like I have a 1st gen. I would swear there's a seat or ridge inside mine for the bearing. Either way with your method, it should't matter.
Worse case if I can't get it done, I'll see if there's a machine shop that can.Yes, as long as the bearings aren’t pressed all the way up against the ridge. Just to clarify, adding the grease is to help the half-washers stick in place. It takes a lot of patience and cussing to get them in there, behind the bearings, but works like a charm once mastered.