PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z Engine Question

El Camexican
01-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Those of you who are familiar with these engines know that there is a seal retainer on the right-hand side of the engine that is meant to prevent the crank seal from working it’s way out.

On the left-hand side I’ve never seen a similar retainer, nor is there one shown on the manual, but this set of cases came with one.

There’s a good chance these are YZ cases, so maybe that’s why it had one? Unless someone tells me these are supposed to be on these engines I’ll leave it off. It doesn’t even have a stop tab, or sit snug on the seal.

NeverLift
01-26-2018, 05:35 PM
I looked up all the YZ250 YZ490s that share those cases and none of them have that retainer.

lndy650
01-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Ive never a retainer on that seal either. someone probably put it on there. if its not in the way of anything id keep it even though ive never seen one of those seals push out. then again you said it doesn't fit snug against the seal anyway so maybe just toss it.

redsox
01-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Ive never a retainer on that seal either. someone probably put it on there. if its not in the way of anything id keep it even though ive never seen one of those seals push out. then again you said it doesn't fit snug against the seal anyway so maybe just toss it.

Tremendously insightful.

lndy650
01-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Tremendously insightful.

I was just trying to be helpful. I love the mid to late 80's yz 250. But by all means bring negativity to the thread.

El Camexican
01-27-2018, 02:12 AM
I looked up all the YZ250 YZ490s that share those cases and none of them have that retainer.

Thanks! It's my spare parts bin where it belongs. Did not know the 490 shared those cases.

redsox
01-27-2018, 10:07 AM
But by all means bring negativity to the thread.

You are right. I shouldn't be negative. Believe me when I tell you that that is a mountain I climb every single day. So, in the spirit of positivity, let me try and make a deal with you, and maybe we can get along. If I promise to try and be positive, will you promise to TRY and ask yourself, "Should I post on this thread?" If you just filtered your comments a little bit it would be better. For everyone. Maybe "Do I have something worthwhile to say" rather than "Let me think of something to write" should be your guide. I can appreciate that you have some knowledge. I can further appreciate that you are trying to fight through some personal demons, and this site is perhaps an outlet for you. For those reasons, I am offering this constructive criticism, in the spirit of friendship and positivity. Less is more. You have been absolutely everywhere. You are that actor Al Leong, the long-haired-but-still-bald chinese guy that was the bad guy in every single movie ever. YOU. ARE. EVERYWHERE. Bikersville=Indy650, Fracis=Indy650, Craigslist=Indy650, New member/old member/smart member/dumb member= Indy650. I click on a thread to see 3 members and 4 guests viewing, and all 7 guys are Indy650. You are like a tarp that has covered the site. I have been guilty of overposting. Many other members have as well. But it seemed to be a phase for others. Something they grow out of as they learn the site. You just keep chugging along. When you showed up it was close in timing to Damon's ban and I thought you were him. I really did. I thought, "this guy and his comments can't be real. Its got to be damon coming back under a different name and just trying to blow the site up. This guy cannot be real." Think about that. I thought you were a fake person intentionally sabotaging things and causing trouble. I was shocked to find out that you are real and these were actual thoughts and posts. I'm sure that sounds insulting, and I don't intend it to be. I just want you to know how many of your posts are received. In closing, i'm all for activity on this site and there is certainly room for you and others. Just bring your A-Game and you'll be welcomed and respected. You do not need to be everywhere. This is just the opinion of one man, who is trying to be positive. Sorry for the mess in your thread Suave. Just kinda fell outta me over coffee.

https://goo.gl/images/Ayaeda

NeverLift
01-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks! It's my spare parts bin where it belongs. Did not know the 490 shared those cases.

Yep 7mm longer stroke with that crank. Might be a fun experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lndy650
01-27-2018, 09:02 PM
im sorry i thought knowing that the retainer isn't there stock made my fairly short post relevant. i stand corrected. all hail redsox. i hate scrolling past all the bragging in your signature but i dont ruin someones thread to complain about it.

redsox
01-28-2018, 07:41 AM
i dont ruin someones thread to complain about it.

Well, thats a start. Now, if you could just stop ruining threads in all your other ways we'll get along great.

El Camexican
01-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Yep 7mm longer stroke with that crank. Might be a fun experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at a photo of Raffa fitting a 490 rod to a Tri Z crank the other day and it looked like he had to grind material off the bottom of the rod as well as the cases for clearances, so I assumed they were different. Maybe the stroke on the 490 is shorter to allow the clearance.

El Camexican
01-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Sorry for the mess in your thread Suave. Just kinda fell outta me over coffee.

No issues here buddy :beer