PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200x stopped shifting into 2nd and above today...

Caminofeld
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Hello, I was ripping through some light snow today in 10 degree weather and my 1985 200x stopped shifting above neutral. I checked the clutch cable and it is properly adjusted. It shifts fine between first and neutral, but won't engage 2nd gear. It just stays in neutral. Everything else is working great. Big ride coming up in late January, so hoping to have it working by then. I'm short on free time, money, and complex mechanical skills, so any suggestions please narrate the process in detail and dumb it down as much as possible for me. Thanks guys!

badasskfx
01-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Sounds interal unless by chance your shifter is stripped on the shaft.
Is your shifter tight?

lndy650
01-02-2018, 02:36 AM
ya your going to have to at the least take off the right side cover. you may want to ask a mechanically knowledgeable friend to help. if your going to attempt to do this download the repair manual first

Caminofeld
01-02-2018, 03:29 PM
It sounds like something internal to me as well. Just ordered the Clymer manual and figure I'll attempt to replace the clutch while I'm in there; as it was starting to slip in the top of 4th and 5th anyway. I'll see what needs to happen in order to engage 2nd gear and figure out what is preventing it from doing so. Thanks guys.

lndy650
01-02-2018, 04:23 PM
seeing it will only go into 1st and neutral i think theres a good chance its a problem with the shift ,linkage which is just behind the side cover. however if its a problem with the shift forks and gears youll have to split the case. im pretty sure you can take the side cover off without removing the engine if you remove the footpeg and brake pedal. its been a while since ive worked on a 200x but im pretty sure that you can. if you have to split the main cases though then obviously youll have to remove the engine. luckily 200x engines are simple to remove and we can help you with it.

Caminofeld
01-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Thanks Indy650, I'm starting this coming week (after I get my garage cleaned/organized) and will let you know how it goes...

yaegerb
01-05-2018, 01:14 AM
Likely the 3rd gear dog problem. Time to open the cases. Probably a combo of 3rd, 2nd and I believe the L shift fork if memory serves.

Dirtcrasher
01-05-2018, 08:04 PM
As suggested above, I would take that right side case off (you don't have to split cases for this - YET!!).

Take out your spark plug and then spin the rear tires while using your other hand to shift up or down. I find it easy to do alone, you may want a helper.

Watch what parts turn the shift drum as you shift/wiggle your shifter. Watch how it all works.

Now if it won't go into 2nd, slide the shift shaft out a half inch and use something to rotate the shift drum in the "shifting up" position, WHILE spinning the rear tire. Just get the shaft BS out of the picture for a moment.

If you see no external issues in any of those multiple pieces required to shift, (drum stopper, drum stud, pawls, springs, actuator linkage etc etc), then it will be time to split the case.

Sounds like you'd prefer to leave case splitting to one of the boys here on 3WW. I suggest cleaning it all up, warm it up, drain the oil and then pull the motor and send it to one of the guys on here that do side work (which is many of us), and have the case separated and any worn/broken/bent parts will be replaced.

ALSO, Mickey Dunlap has 3rd gears for this motor and they are often found to be bad (flaking) in 83 to 85 200X's. I myself have 1 last complete NOS set (2 gears, 1 spring) kickstarter ratchet gear repair/replace kits for the 200X for sale as they are located in the center case. Once they start slipping, the case has to be split to repair it. Those are that motors weakness.

So, you just got figure out whats up with it, (I hope it's something simple, just cracked or a broken spring etc), if you want to put the $$ into it to the point it will run flawlessly for you many many years to come with the same OEM Honda reliability and the 2 weak parts have been replaced...

lndy650
01-05-2018, 10:30 PM
good advice dirtcrasher. with the manual I think you could split the engine if you need to but it would be challenging if you've never done it before. If you know someone in your area a friend maybe that's a good mechanic that would be cheaper than shipping it to someone. if you were closer I would come help you with it.. anyone with good mechanical knowledge should be able to do it no problem with a manual. doesn't have to be an atv mechanic an auto or heavy mechanic would be able to do it too.And like I said if you yourself are mechanically inclined you should be able to do it and we will be here to help if you get stuck.

hey dirtcrasher I see in your signature it says you have a 350x with a 452 big bore is that the four stroke tech kit? I love that kit it has incredible torque its too bad I wanted to build another one but he only goes up to 432 now.