PDA

View Full Version : Modified 90 carb of choice

DAM shop
12-23-2017, 01:33 AM
So I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this post but here I go..
Tonight we switched a 22 mm mikuni carb on a Modified 90 (5mm piston, stroked, race exhaust, big cam) with a 110 rejetted carb.. the reason for switching is because we weren't getting the low end throttle response we were looking for.. sure at 1/4 throttle on up with the mikuni she screamed but most of our riding isn't wide open flat tracking ( unfortunately).. so we jetted the carb with a 38 pilot and a 94 main and we also modified a stock manifold with a dremmel reaming out the head side to match the ported head that matched a bapp manifold.. we couldn't use a shorty race manifold cuz it puts the fuel petcock in a bad Spot with the kehin..
Well I tell ya what we got what we were looking for with the 110 carb switch, great low end throttle response and actually pretty DAM good wide open power. :w00t:
I haven't quite figured out with the mikuni how to dial in my low end throttle response yet.. I have considered a new bigger keihin just to see what I get. Unfortunately I now have 6 mikuni carbs 22 and 24's sitting on the shelf..

We have 3 modified 90's all running jetted 110 carbs.. one of our trikes we affectionately call ugly was purchased from a guy that said he used to race it back in the day. That DAM trike is on 2 wheels more than 3, you can goose the throttle and that thing will bounce the front wheel off the ground all day long..
Don't get me wrong our mikuni are great carbs but do have their place but these carbs we have been putting on makes the short romps around here fun..

Oh yeah our modded 110 is running a 24 mikuni and it's a beast runs hard and wants more.

Joseph Farrow
12-23-2017, 02:48 PM
The Mikunis are hard to get right. The Keihins are easier to deal with.
Back in the day we ended up running Keihins all together. Used a stock 185/200s carb with either a long BAPP or POSA manifold. Not sure if it would fit under a stock tank and if I recall you had to trim off where the overflow came out of the bowl.

Another thing we did was run the carb and manifold mounted back wards. Probably ran it on a shorty BAPP or PK manifold. :)

DAM shop
12-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks Joe knew I could count on you..