PDA

View Full Version : 200X internal kickstart gears

clong
02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I got my 200X cases apart to fix an weak internal kickstarter ratchet spring and when I go to bikebandit.com the main gear I need says discontinued. I would like to replace that while I have the motor apart. If it says discontinued is there no hope in even trying to order it. Does anyone know of what other source I could use to look for that part. Its OEM part # 176242-001. Anybosy have any ideas?

4cylinders
02-11-2004, 11:58 PM
hey, what year is it? I,ve got some parts for an 84.

clong
02-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Its a 1983. Do you think the parts are the same? Are they new? Thx, Chris

samster143
02-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I believe the 83-85 models use the same gear-box. I found the best place to get grear-box parts (kicker internals) is from ebay. However, you may have to buy a few to get all the pieces in good usable condition. Also, I would have someone very familiar with these engines inspect them before assembly.

4cylinders
02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
hey, these are still on the engine. do you have a breakdown so I can see what you need

clong
02-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Its the largest gear on the kickstarter shaft. If you go to bikebandit.com and look under kickstarter fro 1983 200X its part # 2 or 3. The large center gear.

Howdy
02-12-2004, 09:53 PM
I believe the 83-85 models use the same gear-box. I found the best place to get grear-box parts (kicker internals) is from ebay. However, you may have to buy a few to get all the pieces in good usable condition. Also, I would have someone very familiar with these engines inspect them before assembly.

They used a few different gears in different years ( design flaw?? ). I know of at least 2 or 3 different changes.
The key here is to be sure to count the number of teeth on the gear you have so you get the correct gear.

The only other option is to replace the whole set of kick starter gears. A complete set of 85's will work in a 83. But you must use the whole set. I am not 100% sure on the 84's.
Thanks
Howdy

bentwrench
02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
On a '83 the gear on the shaft has 8 teeth, & the counter gear has 7 teeth. I just counted the teeth on a set that I have.

clong
02-13-2004, 12:53 PM
This helps allot. A mechanic friend is helping me with this job so I'll run all this by him. The gears look perfectly fine that came out but I wanted to replace them for peice of mind becasue 83-85 200x's have had such kickstart problems. In my case, it could just be weak springs which I heard there was a reacall on back in the day. So much for getting a dealer to fix it now. Thanks

Howdy
02-13-2004, 01:19 PM
This helps allot. A mechanic friend is helping me with this job so I'll run all this by him. The gears look perfectly fine that came out but I wanted to replace them for peice of mind becasue 83-85 200x's have had such kickstart problems. In my case, it could just be weak springs which I heard there was a reacall on back in the day. So much for getting a dealer to fix it now. Thanks

If the gears look fine then you should be good there. The slipping problem should be fixed while inside the tranny. The spring in question here is the light duty spring on the Kick starter ratchet assembly. I have replaced a few of them. I use a little heavier spring in place of it. Don't go too heavy. I get mine from the local hardware store. I take the old one in and match it up for size. I get the ones that the wire in the spring is 25 to 50% or so bigger.

The bad news is if the teeth on the ratchet assembly are wore bad enough a heavier spring won't do too much.
Howdy

clong
02-14-2004, 04:13 PM
I'll just replace everything I can afford to do while its apart. I'm trying to restore this thing. I was thinking about powdercoating the tank but I wonder if that would be bad. Maier.mfg makes all new plastic fenders and those gas tank shrouds. It would look good then.