PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On Seized Engine (1981 Honda ATC 200)

Pierce1989
10-10-2017, 10:49 AM
My engine leaked oil from the drain screw, seized, and I bought a used engine off ebay. Now what would y'all do with the old engine?

1. Keep entire engine intact and save it incase anything happens to my new engine and I need a part. Would involve moving this thing when moving houses, storing it, ect...
2. Tear down engine, sell all covers, tranny gears, and parts I doubt I'll need to replace on my new engine. Keep stator, clutch, oil rotor, ect...

If option 2, what parts would y'all normally keep "just in case" and then sell the rest on ebay? My original engine is from 1981 and never had an issue with gears. Do these sell well on ebay?

RUNMEDOWN
10-10-2017, 11:35 AM
You could just build it up and have a back up or a motor for a separate project. depends on how much time you wants to spend. I have to have something ti tinker on in the garage or I end up getting put to work in the house. The open motor needing work on my work bench in the excuse to go to the garage, with the beer fridge, and the surround sound, and the projector TV......... not much gets done at my place.

Pierce1989
10-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Sounds good, I'm going to do that. It lost all oil and engine would just die. I changed oil and it'd start, spit white smoke everywhere, piston screeches and it dies again. The damage was already done. So I'd need a new piston, rings, and cylinder. Would you look into the transmission and take it apart to inspect for damage? I've never disassembled the tranny gears, is it pretty difficult?

RUNMEDOWN
10-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Very, very hard to damage the gears. The rings will be gone, as well as prob the cylinder, but I would not order anything until you tear it down and take a look. Hondas can put up with a lot, you may get lucky and only need a hone and rings (Not likely but maybe). Pull the side cover and see if you can find any chunks in the bottom end from the rings. The fact that it ran after even with the white smoke is a very good sign.

AMK
10-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Rebuild it or keep it for parts. I rebuilt a seized lt230 and the cylinder honed out fine. New piston and rings and it's up and running.
Like RUNMEDOWN says I doubt you hurt the tranny.

350for350
10-10-2017, 09:40 PM
The whole engine won't use up much storage space than a bunch of parts.

Pierce1989
10-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Great advice, I'll keep the engine. Thanks y'all.

BarnBoy
10-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I have a couple old parts motors kicking around. Saved me from having to buy expensive parts new or on ebay as I already had good used ones.