PDA

View Full Version : Needle and Seat Refurbish

El Camexican
09-11-2017, 10:40 PM
I've pondered trying reseating a worn set in the past, but always just replace them when a cleaning doesn't work. I figured a little fine grinding compound on the surfaces and a few turns might work, but turning the needle is difficult and the compound is probably too rough to create a seal, so I never bothered.

Then thanks to an eBay seller that must be selling out of someone's else's warehouse (two weeks and counting to receive them) I found myself short four needle and seat sets, so I did some Googling and found a video of a guy that cuts Q-Tips in half, sticks them in a drill chuck and then dabs them in metal polish before inserting them into the seat and turning on the drill.

Seems to really clean up the seats, but the needles still have a slight ridge around them. I'm not sure they will seat like that. Anyone ever try this with success?

I should mention these are Mikuni seats, metal to metal type. I have to believe this would be perfect for the rubber tipped style of needles.

83ATC185
09-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Ive done that with metal polish first, then brasso with a dremel and it saved my 185 carb.

As for mikuni seats it really seems like it would be hit or miss with luck being the bullseye...

Dirtcrasher
09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
I can't see that being a bad idea at all...

However, it will be the doom of rookies!!

atc007
09-12-2017, 10:03 PM
I've never goofed with the needles,only replaced. But have used this to clean seats for decades. Most of the time if you do not see a wear line on the needle,it is just a build up of crap on the seat.

El Camexican
09-12-2017, 11:10 PM
I may never know if this works. The new ones arrived to my mail box yesterday and I have more pressing projects on the go, so I may just use the new ones. Removing those carbs is a major PITA and I've had to do it a half dozen times in the last couple months. I'll never buy used carbs again unless new aren't available. Costs way too much to replace parts on these.