PDA

View Full Version : questions on removing parts (kxt and atc200)

sportvette
02-10-2004, 09:35 AM
hello,

i was in the garage yesterday. had great weather here in new york. finally warm enough to work on the bikes. i spent most of the night cleaning up the garage and sorting out the parts. i got the parts for each bike separated in boxes. now i have room to work! :-D

i have a couple questions about my restore projects.

KXT250:
i didnt get a chance to look at the book yet, but do the rear shock springs come off and on easily? is it worth removing these to get them powder coated? it would also help me clean them up. most of my parts have serious gunk and grease. i need a can of engine degreaser!

ATC200:
which puller do i need to get the magneto off? chapparal has pullers for the atcs and hondas, what size do i need. i believe there are two sizes associated with the puller.

thanks for the help,
mark

Jeb
02-10-2004, 10:49 AM
On 86 KXT, back the preload collars off as far as you can and then you should be able to compress the spring enough that you can get the large retainer ring off the bottom and back on again later. Another set of hands will help along with carefully clamping the shock in a vise to hold it. as you back off the preload collars they may interfere with the reservoir hose. You could always remove the res. hose to make it easy and then change the oil in your shock while the spring is getting painted.