PDA

View Full Version : 1985 350x Refresh (Rider)

Aulbaugh
08-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Well like so many stories go,, I picked up another 85 350x and am going to put some lite refreshing into it. The gentleman I bought it from had had it since 89, bought the 250R rims off a pallet of ATC stuff after the ban from his local honda dealer. Trike runs and shifts. Seller included what looks like a brand new oem carb, a nice front brake caliper,hose, and master cylinder, 2 emgo oil filters, the orginal front Enkei rim(sadly he could not find the rears) and a welded up oem grab bar. The 350x was just sitting in the corner of his shop, looking all tired. While speaking with the gentleman he mentioned he didn't know anyone knew what "these"(3 wheelers) were anymore. I told him that there was still indeed people out there that enjoy them. We chatted for a while, I took it out for a rip and when I got back he said he wanted to ride it. I was thinking as he was riding, jeez I hope he doesn't have sellers remorse becuase he looked to be having some easy fun on it. Anyways, 10 C-Notes an hour and fifteen minutes later I was back to the house unloading it.

jb2wheels
08-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Oh, fantastic! Good grab.

Onetrackmind
08-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Excellent score man! Did you find in E. Texas or have to go for a drive? I kinda like the Oldie Goldie look on it! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Oh, fantastic! Good grab.

Thank you John

Excellent score man! Did you find in E. Texas or have to go for a drive? I kinda like the Oldie Goldie look on it!

Thank you Cody. Yes sir I did find it out this way, in the town of Kilgore. About an hour and fifteen minutes from my house. I loaded the family up and away we went. I'm liking the Oldie Goldie look too!

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 10:05 AM
no telling when this was cleaned last

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
So it has no front brakes. The front master cylinder, brake caliper and hose that are on it are in pretty bad shape. I will use the nicer oem one that I got from the seller, however on this one too just like the one that is on bike, the piston is seized in the master cylinder. A rebuild is in order on both those!

jb2wheels
08-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I didn't bother rebuilding the master. Mine has a 400EX or 450R front master on it now. They're cheap and plentiful.

I found if the plastic coating on the hose is broken or gone it tends to rub on the tire when the suspension compresses.
I "restored" my front brake line (copying someone else's idea) by:
- chipping all the old crap off the line
- splitting some plastic ice maker line from Home depot and sliding it over the hose
- wrapping the whole thing with clear shrink tube

You can kind of see it in these pictures.
245513 245514

Somebody was making a very nice reproduction hose with correct silicon ends, etc, if you want to go that route. It's gorgeous.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 11:39 AM
I didn't bother rebuilding the master. Mine has a 400EX or 450R front master on it now. They're cheap and plentiful.

I found if the plastic coating on the hose is broken or gone it tends to rub on the tire when the suspension compresses.
- splitting some plastic ice maker line from Home depot and sliding it over the hose

Somebody was making a very nice reproduction hose with correct silicon ends, etc, if you want to go that route. It's gorgeous.

Yeah I figured since I had the master cylinder already I would just rebuild it since OEM parts are still up for grabs. With the piston already out it should be straight forward.
Thank you for the pictures of your 350x. It looks good! I like how the hose turned out! I did pick up one of the repop hoses but after reading on Onetrackminds recent post on his 250r I am going into it skeptical.

Shawn Powell
08-08-2017, 11:40 AM

You can kind of see it in these pictures.
245513 245514

I'll double down on the 400ex master. Cheap easy to find new from Honda. And has more pressure than OEM. I went with a HEL line. Brakes are as good as a 450r now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170808/61fc71c41bf3aff8f3192a30719d2a1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks Shawn for the picture! I do like that master cylinder setup.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 12:02 PM
the brake fuild from the rear brakes

Onetrackmind
08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Yuck...I didn't know Hershey's made brake fluid.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Yuck...I didn't know Hershey's made brake fluid.

Haha! Yeah it was pretty bad.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 12:58 PM
I knew looking over the bike in the begining that one of the forks were bent

Onetrackmind
08-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Wow...that axle is way out. What does the other side look like? Is it even through the hub?

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Wow...that axle is way out. What does the other side look like? Is it even through the hub?

Yes sir it was through the hub and was ok on the other side. But that wasn't the worse of it. I could deal with the bent right fork, but the cavity in the left fork close to the seal is a problem.

Aulbaugh
08-08-2017, 03:36 PM
The postive to the fork situation is I have a parts 350x bike that has some not so pretty but straight forks that will be a donor.

Aulbaugh
08-09-2017, 10:34 AM
here is how the handlebar and the controls look

Aulbaugh
08-09-2017, 01:11 PM
just to make sure the part bike forks were straight I shipped them up to Dirtcrasher to have them double checked for straightness and have them rebuilt with an OEM seal kit, new fork oil, and progressive springs.

Aulbaugh
08-09-2017, 05:42 PM
I thought with the current outside condition to the forks I would try my hand at polishing for the first time. this is before I took them to the buffing wheel.

Red Rider
08-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Coming along nicely. Keep it up and it could earn you 5 Ichiban Moto stickers!

Shawn Powell
08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
If you have the extra 150$ while there apart I highly recommend racestechs cartridge valve emulator kit. Worth every penny.

Aulbaugh
08-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Coming along nicely. Keep it up and it could earn you 5 Ichiban Moto stickers!

Thank you Red Rider!

If you have the extra 150$ while there apart I highly recommend racestechs cartridge valve emulator kit. Worth every penny. !

I did see your thread about them when you installed your set. I debated going that route and might revisit it later down the line

Aulbaugh
08-11-2017, 07:09 AM
I pulled some of the parts that could you some new color and sent them to Yaegerb for powder coating

Aulbaugh
08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I disassembled the rear caliper and pulled the rear pads out and had part of the piston stuck to the back of the pad. That caliper has some junk caked in it.

Aulbaugh
08-11-2017, 02:32 PM
I picked up a 350x supertrapp locally for $65. It needs cleaned up; what is the best way to go about that? I don't have any expierence with supertrapps so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn Powell
08-11-2017, 02:43 PM
I'd take it all apart have the pipe powder coated black. The muffler itself will probably polish out with some elbow grease and compound. You can repack it ( any 4 stroke packing , I like the FMF it seems denser) and you can order new discs and an end cap from SupertrApp. That's a score for 65$. I sold mine with the OEM head pipe for almost 300$ ( cleaned up like I just suggested)

jb2wheels
08-11-2017, 03:41 PM
I picked up a 350x supertrapp locally for $65. It needs cleaned up; what is the best way to go about that? I don't have any expierence with supertrapps so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ah nuts - how did I miss that? I must not be paying enough attention.

Great deal I think!

Aulbaugh
08-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Thank you Shawn for that information. What muffler setup are you running on your 350x now? I thought you were running a supertrapp after switching from the DG.

Aulbaugh
08-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Ah nuts - how did I miss that? I must not be paying enough attention.

Great deal I think!

Thanks jb! I think for you this one might have been a little far.

Shawn Powell
08-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Thank you Shawn for that information. What muffler setup are you running on your 350x now? I thought you were running a supertrapp after switching from the DG.

I am now , but it's a universal supertrapp I bought brand new. Live and learn. I didn't like the way the old one sounded cause I thought louder would be cool. I'm not that smart. Hated my DG noise and had to make custom setup. Wasn't cheap but was worth it. Sounds better and runs great.

knappyfeet
08-11-2017, 11:47 PM

Nice score!

I would say Shawn is right about powder coating it but..........

If you can get that pipe completely clean and rust free the POR15 high temp stuff or the pj1 stuff would really go on nice and be really durable.

I did my 200X head pipe with 15 after I COMPLETELY removed all rust. I think I used the rustoleum remover as its quicker but evaporust is just as good but can take a day or sometimes 2. It's a little cheaper route to go. I also used it for my Yamaha as well.

Shawn Powell
08-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Nice score!

If you can get that pipe completely clean and rust free the POR15 high temp stuff or the pj1 stuff would really go on nice and be really durable.

I did my 200X head pipe with 15 after I COMPLETELY removed all rust. I think I used the rustoleum remover as its quicker but evaporust is just as good but can take a day or sometimes 2. It's a little cheaper route to go. I also used it for my Yamaha as well.

Did the paint hold up after you've ridden it? That's always been my issue. I will admit I don't prep very well. My local pc guy also does sand blasting. That has worked and looked the best for me.

Aulbaugh
08-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Nice score!

That turned out really nice! do you have the before pictures? As Shawn mentioned, how did it hold after a few rides?

Aulbaugh
08-12-2017, 01:51 PM
the forks still have alittle polishy haze on them that I didn't get wiped off before the I took the picture. I'll have a better picture down the line, but they shine up nice!

Shawn Powell
08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
the forks still have alittle polishy haze on them that I didn't get wiped off before the I took the picture. I'll have a better picture down the line, but they shine up nice!

Damn can you come over and do mine? I'll buy the beer.

Aulbaugh
08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Damn can you come over and do mine? I'll buy the beer.

Thanks Shawn, it was definitely worth doing! what's the beer of choice?

Shawn Powell
08-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Thanks Shawn, it was definitely worth doing! what's the beer of choice?

I'm a simple man. Most nights it's PBR , if I'm feeling fancy I might get some coronas. But hey for that kind of polish I'll buy you whatever your flavor is!! But if you go to imperial invasion this year I'll be sure to have PBR and RC cola.

Aulbaugh
08-13-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm a simple man. Most nights it's PBR , if I'm feeling fancy I might get some coronas. But hey for that kind of polish I'll buy you whatever your flavor is!! But if you go to imperial invasion this year I'll be sure to have PBR and RC cola.

I like both of those brewskis! Imperial would be sweet. I've wanted to ride there for a long time now but having the time is the hard part

Shawn Powell
08-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Yeah I missed it last year and I'm only 150 miles away. What a bum I am. I won't miss it this year. At least 4 days. Maybe I'll find time to polish mine before than, nah prolly not lol.

knappyfeet
08-13-2017, 01:04 PM
That turned out really nice! do you have the before pictures? As Shawn mentioned, how did it hold after a few rides?

Overall it holds good if the process is done right.

Over the years I've found that some pipes take to spray can painting better than others. I'm sure that heat, diameter, location, etc., all have a say but overall prepping is the key.

2 things I've found is important for a better job......one is prepping. That inludes "pickling" the metal. It's a process of etching the metal and that etching promotes better adhesion. Of course all old finishes and rust must be TOTALLY removed and after the pickling process.....contolling flash rusting. The second thing for me is heat curing. I have a radiant heater I got from a customer long ago who was moving.....that I use for heating painted surfaces. Remember reading on the can the instructions for curing the paint?.......30 minutes at 400 then 20 min at 300, etc? Most of use don't have a curing oven so we just start the motor. This usually just ends up incinerating the paint rather than curing it......that's why most flake and chip especially on the head pipe. Even a cheap radiant space heater and a cheapo harbor freight heat gauge is WAY better than just starting the engine.........trying to cure it the best we can with what we have.

Here is a couple of pics of the 90 and the link to the thread over at caferacer.net.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/general/24220-yamaha-ht-1-1971-a-post399633.html#post399633

Shawn Powell
08-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Yeah I think my problem is always the heat cycle. Never done it. Always strip to metal. Clean well. Even used a primer on my 350x then paint. Burned right off. Hence the fiberglass wrap. Looks good to me!! One day I'm gonna buy one of those shiny FST headers. Or a FMF xr400 and have a buddy help weld it real pretty. (My welding is not pretty)
Those pipes look great knappy.

knappyfeet
08-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Yeah I think my problem is always the heat cycle. Never done it.

I hear ya.

Even doing the heat cycle to the best of my limited capabilities sometimes it still chips and flakes off. This is when I think it may be a certain bike pipe or configuration or a certain state of tune on the bike.........both of which really doesn't affect PC

Edit post:

Usually failure is seen on larger displacement machines..........maybe more heat? I can't keep a finish on my DR650 for the life of me!!

Aulbaugh
08-20-2017, 07:33 PM
A few of the powdercoated pieces from Mr.Yaeger showed up Friday night. They look GREAT!

BOB MARLIN
08-23-2017, 09:02 AM
I could not get anything to stay looking nice on my 350x pipe. Even the chrome one I have changed colors.
I finally had one ceramic coated . It's held up for years and looks great.

Aulbaugh
08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
I could not get anything to stay looking nice on my 350x pipe. Even the chrome one I have changed colors.
I finally had one ceramic coated . It's held up for years and looks great.

Thanks Bob, that is the route I am going to go with it! Do you have a picture of yours done?

BOB MARLIN
08-24-2017, 09:34 AM
I have a pic of the side view somewhere. But at least you can see some of the results from the ceramic. You can have it done in a few different colors. The silver has held up well.

Aulbaugh
08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the picture Bob! That looks great!

Aulbaugh
09-01-2017, 12:36 PM
I spent some time polishing the triple trees. They still need to go to the buffing wheel.

Aulbaugh
09-01-2017, 05:18 PM
after some buffing!

Shep1970
09-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Those came out really nice!!! Can i ask a favor? Can u look underneath and see if theres any casting marks like where a vent or two may have been to let air out when made? No hurry, just trying to find the answer. Not to derail your thread sorry...and thanks (mine are all installed and pain in the arse to see)

Shep

Aulbaugh
09-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks Shep! I'll get you a couple of pictures.

Aulbaugh
09-02-2017, 02:04 PM
let me know if you need something different Shep

Aulbaugh
09-04-2017, 01:47 PM
I opted to go with the All Balls 350X Tapered Steering Stem Bearing Kit on the new install. First time doing it and it went pretty smooth. The bottom orginal race was kinda a pain to get out.

Aulbaugh
10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
A few more of the pieces showed up yesterday from Mr.Yaeger. The last picture is a group photo of what parts have been powered/zinc.

Aulbaugh
10-27-2017, 12:33 PM
powdered rear master cylinder/zinc. Powdered front master cylinder with new site glass

Rmac86
10-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Looking good bro! Going to have to send some of my powder coating needs your way when I ever get to that point!

Aulbaugh
10-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Looking good bro! Going to have to send some of my powder coating needs your way when I ever get to that point!

Thank you sir! All the credit on the powder and zinc goes to Mr.Yaeger and Onetrackmind! Without those guys all the parts wouldn't have turned out as nice as they did. Thank you guys very much.

Aulbaugh
11-22-2017, 11:48 PM
new front and back shoes. Cheetah HP577cf MX/Trail up front, Cheetah HP577c MX/Trail in the rear.

Aulbaugh
02-14-2018, 12:14 PM
I got my seat in yesterday from Mrs.Mosh. Her work is phenomenal(but I already knew that)! I went with a new foam and seat cover.

yaegerb
02-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Looks awesome!

Aulbaugh
02-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Looks awesome!

Thank you sir! Pics coming soon!

Aulbaugh
08-16-2018, 02:02 PM
I got my exhaust back from getting ceramic coated. Looks so much better now vs the old stuff I sent them.

Aulbaugh
08-28-2018, 05:18 PM
I didn’t want to go too crazy on this one because I still wanted to be able to get it out and enjoy it and not have to worry about things. (yeah I am one of those guys). When I decided to do this refresh I wanted to use as many resources from my friends here on this site and in our tight knit community as possible. We have a lot of awesome members here that contribute in their own way and that is what makes a great team! First I would like to thank some people and give credit where it is due. First a special thanks Yaeger Performance Machines for all the awesome work you do. From rebuilding this to that ,to the conversations of things to come! It is truly a pleasure buddy!
All the powdered parts were sent to Gateway Powder Coating LLC for a new look. As well as the exhaust for ceramic coating. They are masters at what they do!
Zinc parts were shipped to Cody Gary (Onetrackmind) for rezinc.
Dave “Tapper” Coleman provided me with a new case saver.
The seat went to Tammy @ Cosmic Quads. Mrs. Mosh did a stellar job. I went with a new seat cover and new foam.
The front forks went up to Steve Thomas (Dirtcrasher) to have them checked for straightness and rebuilt with all OEM parts and upgrade the fork springs to Progressive.
Ernest @ Cheetah High Performance Tires for the new shoes. By far the best looking shoes on the market!
Mike Palmgren(vintagemotorsports) for the re pop front brake hose.
Some feebay seller for misc parts i.e. brake hose guides
It was fun to take this tired 350x and put some life back into it. I learned a lot, made some mistakes along the way, but that is the fun in it! Thanks everyone who helped with this!

Red Rider
08-28-2018, 07:44 PM
Beautiful!

Aulbaugh
08-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Beautiful!

Thank you sir!

83ATC185
08-29-2018, 08:21 AM
that turned out very nice! I need a 350x. One day.