PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah Tire Weight

ZacH_GrifF
06-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Anybody know what the Cheetah 20x10-9 tire weight is? On a search for tires for my build. I noticed the STI Tech 4 XC tires, are pretty close to the Cheetahs and I know they are 6-ply compared to the 4-ply cheetahs. The tech 4's weigh 15lbs a tire but I cant find any info on the tire weight for the cheetahs. Weight matters to me cause they are going on a 200cc build.

bkvette3
06-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Hello ZacH

I have a pair of 20x10x9 Cheetahs in my shop - not mounted on rims - I will weigh a tire for you later on tonight and get back to you.

Regards.

ZacH_GrifF
06-21-2017, 10:25 AM
That's awesome thanks!

barnett468
06-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Anybody know what the Cheetah 20x10-9 tire weight is? Weight matters to me cause they are going on a 200cc build.

Why does weight matter that much to you?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

ZacH_GrifF
06-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Barnett,

It's low power motor comparatively. I'm cheap and the tech 4's are cheaper than the cheetahs by a lot. If the weight difference isn't that much I'll probably go with the cheaper tire. Weight probably doesn't matter that much but I'd still like to know. I research stuff way more than I should. Going to school to be an Engineer, I don't know, call me anal haha.

barnett468
06-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Barnett,

It's low power motor comparatively. I'm cheap and the tech 4's are cheaper than the cheetahs by a lot. If the weight difference isn't that much I'll probably go with the cheaper tire. Weight probably doesn't matter that much but I'd still like to know. I research stuff way more than I should. Going to school to be an Engineer, I don't know, call me anal haha.

Ah, ok. Yeah, if it's only like around 2.0 lbs difference or less, you would be hard pressed to be able to tell any difference in power loss between the two doing a side by side test if the amount of traction provided by both is fairly similar . Its not like you are installing a pair of 15 lb Wooly Buggers etc, lol.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

bkvette3
06-22-2017, 06:45 AM
Sorry for the delay. Each unmounted tire weighed in at 13lbs 14 ounces. Hope that helps.

Regards.

ZacH_GrifF
06-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Thanks. The STI tech 4 xc's weigh 15lbs. I still can't justify the $45 extra per tire for 1.1lbs. Tech 4's it is haha.

Shawn Powell
06-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Couldn't find weights but the Kenda scorpion in a 20 10 8 is only 11.7 lbs. 9" couldn't be much more. Probably less. Only 2 ply rated. I have em on my 350x so far so good. The grip well and are much lighter than my ITP holeshots 6 ply. About 65 each. Better deals on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZacH_GrifF
06-22-2017, 10:19 AM
I can still get the Tech 4's for $58 a tire at my door step. It's gonna be a trail bike so I want something a little more than 2-ply. Not necessarily wanting 6-ply but the price is right.

Also I ride on pipelines sometimes and when they bush hog them, stumps and stobs from saplings and bushes are left and I don't wanna worry about popping a 2-ply tire.

Shawn Powell
06-22-2017, 11:01 AM
I thought the same thing but I have some hard rocky black diamond trails under these so far. Also my front is a Kenda 2 ply and has way more miles on it ( about 1200 via my gps) and have had a leak yet. Just some feedback. I enjoy them. They also make a 22" for a 8" rim wich I might go to next time for the clearance.

Ghostv2
06-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Why does weight matter that much to you?

Racing companies In sports like MotoGP spend millions of dollars just to shave a few pounds here and there. Another reason why they have dry clutches, carbon fiber panels and frames, titanium exhausts, aluminum everywhere, etc.

Power to weight ratio is a pretty big deal if you are serious about going fast. I'm not saying I would personally care about a few added pounds here and there on my 3 wheeler, but I'm just saying. Personally I believe losing fat content on your own body is more important than how much your wheels weigh. But that's just me.

Shawn Powell
06-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Wait, did ghost just call us fat? [emoji23]

barnett468
06-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Racing companies In sports like MotoGP spend millions of dollars just to shave a few pounds here and there. Another reason why they have dry clutches, carbon fiber panels and frames, titanium exhausts, aluminum everywhere, etc.

Power to weight ratio is a pretty big deal if you are serious about going fast. I'm not saying I would personally care about a few added pounds here and there on my 3 wheeler, but I'm just saying. Personally I believe losing fat content on your own body is more important than how much your wheels weigh. But that's just me.

I know all that. I was lightening bikes since 1974 and worked at Kawi where we used to use some titanium parts on race bikes until they outlawed them . I was also a PRO Motocross racer as well as a PRO 3 wheeler and PRO 4 wheeler racer.

Loosing body weight won't help the reaction time of the suspension which is affected by weight . It also won't make the bike any lighter, and since the heavier a bike is, the more strength it takes to control it which then in turn typically requires more muscle than riding a lighter bike would, and since muscle is denser than fat, it weighs more than fat, therefore depending on someones body fat content, it is entirely possible that they will actually have to gain weight via more muscle mass to ride a heavier bike than a lighter one.

Ghostv2
06-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Wait, did ghost just call us fat? [emoji23]

Haha, No no no. What I mean by that is (let's use dry clutch for an example again) you can cut down on weight by reducing the amount of oil in your crankcase by isolating the clutch and making it a dry system. In racing a clutch is only used on the start so there isn't as much wear and a wet clutch isn't really needed. Among other benefits like a cleaner system. But anyways, you spend all this money developing lighter parts and shedding weight but you can do the same thing by taking a poop and not eating breakfast before a race. The rider is often more important than the machine.

barnett468
06-22-2017, 01:17 PM
POST TO SHOW EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST CUZ I AIN'T GOT NO EDIT BUTTON :lol:

"...it weighs more than fat.

should read

"...it weighs more than fat for the same measured volume."

barnett468
06-22-2017, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Ghostv2;1455461]In racing a clutch is only used on the start.../QUOTE]

The clutch is used several times a lap in a few different types of racing one of which is Motocross.

Shawn Powell
06-22-2017, 01:55 PM
So ghost called me fat and Barnett body shamed my small muscles. Cool [emoji23]
Kenda tires.

Ghostv2
06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
I know all that. I was lightening bikes since 1974 and worked at Kawi where we used to use some titanium parts on race bikes until they outlawed them . I was also a PRO Motocross racer as well as a PRO 3 wheeler and PRO 4 wheeler racer.

It's not official unless you have a gold star. So I'm gonna have to disregard all of that bud.

Mr. Clean
06-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Wait, did ghost just call us fat?

Noooooooo :D

call me anal

ZacH_GrifF
06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Oh lord haha

El Camexican
06-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Haha, No no no. What I mean by that is (let's use dry clutch for an example again) you can cut down on weight by reducing the amount of oil in your crankcase by isolating the clutch and making it a dry system. In racing a clutch is only used on the start so there isn't as much wear and a wet clutch isn't really needed. Among other benefits like a cleaner system. But anyways, you spend all this money developing lighter parts and shedding weight but you can do the same thing by taking a poop and not eating breakfast before a race. The rider is often more important than the machine.

Sorry Ghost, I forgive you for calling me fat (If the moo moo fits) but the dry clutches I've seen weigh a heck of a lot more than the wet ones. Because of the lack of lubricant the hub and basket are made of steel and not aluminum as most wet units are. I guess throw away aluminum or titanium baskets would be used on a GP bike, but weight loss isn’t the reason they would use one.

While a dry clutch may free up a few fractions of a horsepower (less oil whipping, but there is the additional drag of an extra seal on the input shaft, so it's negligible) and allow for a smaller volume of oil in an engine I'd be more inclined to say that a wet clutches are preferred in non- race applications because they cost less to incorporate into a design, don't make much noise, don't take on sand, mud and other real life contaminants, don't coat pretty bikes and their rider’s clothes with dust, have less parts to fail and last longer in general. Even Ducati switched over to wet clutches a few years back despite their dry clutches practically being a trademark of the brand. They aren’t a lot of fun in stop-n-go traffic either. Even the most seasoned rider looks like a novice the first time they try to let a dry clutch out. You either lurch and buck like a rookie when the light turns green, or slip the heck out of it to save your dignity at the cost of a new set of plates every 7,000 thousand miles or so.

The only appeal after "looks cool!" of a dry clutch is that the plates are easy to change, your oil stays clean longer and under intense conditions a dry clutch is less likely to slip, the latter being the main reason to put one on a race bike. Picture a 200hp GP bike at 190mph on the final straightaway of the last lap. A wet clutch under this condition would either need to have a centrifugal lock up mechanism like many drag bikes use, or a set of springs that would guarantee carpal tunnel syndrome for the rider in order to stay locked up at that speed.

As a wise man once said: "If you want to feel the difference between your bike the way it is stock VS the way it will feel with $10,000 worth of titanium on it take it for a ride with a full tank of gas and then drain half the tank and take it for another ride” :lol:

Ghostv2
06-22-2017, 05:05 PM
So how bout' those cheetah tires der bud? [emoji28]

I'm sorry I ever derailed this conversation. But i love this forum.

Shawn Powell
06-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Sorry I'm still scrutinizing my breakfast choices and thinking about lifting weights.