PDA

View Full Version : Things I bought myself for Father's Day

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 12:18 AM
First was a few weeks ago I bought this aluminum air box that had some fitment issues. CFM fixed that made a new air box that fits and looks great. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/79916088edfe0845d9cf5948e3e489c7.jpg
Next was a new seat cover and foam from high flite. I went with the desert foam cause I do ALOT of trail riding. Not exactly the most appealing cosmetically. But once you sit on it your sold. Also I went with the gripper top cause I helps when hill climbing. Does anyone want my 1985 foam? You pay shipping and it's yours. Pm me
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/f0122706cf39513b4004696ca3a21e76.jpg
I also bought a FST dual oil cooler. Now I hope I don't paint myself as a target for stating this but there's a few people here who constantly trash MD. I feel its unwarranted. Now that my opinion. I have never dealt with him before this but he was prompt , fair in price and answered all of my silly questions fast and thoroughly. Even on Sunday. I also enjoy his posts. It's a nice setup for a fair price.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/8f34db8c707c6de264194bea88ab8d39.jpg
I also ordered a new universal SupertrApp muffler. I'm going to a muffler shop tomorrow to have a mid pipe made up and I will post some pictures. The DG I have is loud. Even with my custom baffle. I just don't like it. It also sticks out too far and burned a hole in my cooler on my PRM six pack rack. Anyone want my DG? Pm me we'll make a deal.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/6d8b5fb0c070df670d1280276d99bbbc.jpg
That's it for now. Feel free to leave me some feedback or ask questions.
Have a good Father's Day also! I'll be at Pismo beach Saturday if your up there !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderboy
06-15-2017, 06:39 AM
Questions on the oil cooler:
1. How does it connect in up front?
2. To be effective, doesn't it need to be aimed such that it gets air blowing over it?

The setup looks clean, and I really like your aluminum airbox. I was reading the other thread on this too, it is nice that the company that made it was responsive to your comments/suggestions and made it like it should have been.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Questions on the oil cooler:
1. How does it connect in up front?
2. To be effective, doesn't it need to be aimed such that it gets air blowing over it?

The setup looks clean, and I really like your aluminum airbox. I was reading the other thread on this too, it is nice that the company that made it was responsive to your comments/suggestions and made it like it should have been.

It bypasses the oil tube that carries oil from the crankcase to the head. Cools it and drops cooler oil on the head. This is installed how Mickey recommends. I have no testing personally yet but in theory it's great. Would it be more effective in a different spot? Probably but there's air flow back there where it is. I'm sure MD has moved it around to find the best placement between air flow and protection, ease of install etc.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Deleted for reasons

6spdls1z28
06-15-2017, 10:38 AM
You will have to get a stainless steel mid pipe made. The stuff at the muffler shop might crack

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
You will have to get a stainless steel mid pipe made. The stuff at the muffler shop might crack

Yeah I have the pipe. (Stainless) I just need the shop to bend it for me and weld the hanger onto my muffler.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Its funny you say you don't want this thread turing into a bashing thread .

Your right I don't and If I came off that way I apologize. I was trying to state I had a good experience with him, although small in nature, and I would like to share that and not become a target for the members here who dislike him. Obviously I didn't word it very well.

Ranvier
06-15-2017, 11:35 AM
I really like all your posts and mods on the X. I'm debating my oil cooler options but may run a fan since I'll have a battery for the goki.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 12:10 PM
I really like all your posts and mods on the X. I'm debating my oil cooler options but may run a fan since I'll have a battery for the goki.

I ran and killed a fan on my 400ex. Seemed like one trip to the sand was all it took. Let me know what you find and how it works out. I had used one of those dust waterproof etc fans I think was helo or halo brand. Was expensive and didn't last. Maybe bad luck. The cooler was less expensive. Hopefully lasts longer haha. I wasn't really even having heating problems just wanted to make sure I don't in the future.

atc300r
06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
I deleted my other post. I haven't bought anything from FST but some of my friends have . Some had a great experience some didn't. Your 350x looks nice hope it works well. I don't have a 350x but would like one someday. I have a couple 200xs and several 250rs.

6spdls1z28
06-15-2017, 01:25 PM
350x's are a blast to ride just the chain setup sucks, wish they had an extra guide. They always drop a chain if barely loose.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
I deleted my other post. I haven't bought anything from FST but some of my friends have . Some had a great experience some didn't. Your 350x looks nice hope it works well. I don't have a 350x but would like one someday. I have a couple 200xs and several 250rs.

Thanks. I also hope it works well. Been a great bike so far. Have a lot of fun with it. Good luck with yours.

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 03:59 PM
350x's are a blast to ride just the chain setup sucks, wish they had an extra guide. They always drop a chain if barely loose.

I have the 86 setup in the rear. And one of tappers case savers up front. I haven't had issues but I do make sure I check or adjust every trip and even do a daily check. So far so good.

Aulbaugh
06-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I was hoping you would throw some pictures up of the second oil cooler installed. With its placement do you have to worry about mud etc interfering?

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 05:11 PM
I was hoping you would throw some pictures up of the second oil cooler installed. With its placement do you have to worry about mud etc interfering?

I'm sure you might. It is mounted to the side of the air box on the left side. I don't do a lot of mud bogging the occasionally water crossing but I also think think it will be an issue. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170615/3792ec433769b9ea7e6d52b8a3ca9cd3.jpg
It's hard to see in the picture because of the frame.

Rob Canadian
06-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Nice set up and trike you have.

Were any numbers talked about as far as the lowering of the oil temp with the oil cooler? 10 degrees, 20(?) etc...

Also. Would the oil cooler drain back down after it is shut off? Or is it set up to keep oil in the system(?)

Shawn Powell
06-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Nice set up and trike you have.

Were any numbers talked about as far as the lowering of the oil temp with the oil cooler? 10 degrees, 20(?) etc...

Also. Would the oil cooler drain back down after it is shut off? Or is it set up to keep oil in the system(?)

I think he stated once to me 50 degrees. And it would drain. A bit. There's no pressure but some oils stays. It only adds about 1/2 quart extra.