PDA

View Full Version : TRI-Z Parts Wanted

El Camexican
06-10-2017, 03:08 PM
I’m looking for some Tri-Z engine parts. If this isn’t the correct place to post please accept my humble apology and let me know where it needs to be.

In no particular order…

- Cylinder spacer for long rod, or a template to make one - Decided against this mod, looking at a BB
- Long rod (if NEW with all the parts) - Same as above
- 6 speed transmission - Guess I'm stuck with a 5 speed
- Clutch adjustment rod - Still need one
- SS coolant impeller - Have one
- Stator plate cover - Still need one, billet would be great
- A head stud in good condition (just need one) - Still need one
- Engine case dowel pin (just need one) - Have one
- Crankshaft with good threads and seal surfaces (even better if the rod is bad) - Have one
- Clutch basket - Have one
- kick starter (worn may ok) - Still looking if the price is right

If you have any of these items please send me a PM and what you think the part is worth. Figured I’d start here before scouring eBay.

Thanks for looking,

Nico

tecat-z
06-11-2017, 12:30 AM
I have many of those parts. U still heading up to T.F.? If so I can bring along...

El Camexican
06-11-2017, 03:21 AM
I have many of those parts. U still heading up to T.F.? If so I can bring along...

Not this year unfortunately, but we can figure something out. Thanks!

El Camexican
06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Yep, dune motor for existing trike, mine is way too peeky. Storage space is getting scarce here and every time the wife has to leave her car on the street in the sun results in a "me or the bikes" discussion and I hate the result of me making a face like I'm in deep thought before answering. I'm thinking of renting a mini storage spot, maybe then I can resume collecting, but for now it's just motors.

PS I'm not a big Honda fan, so...

El Camexican
06-11-2017, 12:11 PM
My dislike of Honda is fairly superficial. Everybody has one, old man Honda did not like two strokes and I don't particularly like the way they engineered some of the vehicles I've worked on and seen. Based on the location of a gold wing alternator I almost dare say that Honda single-handedly brought about the era of manuals changing from "How to" to "see you nearest dealer"

Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a 200X or a 250R I would keep it.

El Camexican
06-12-2017, 08:17 AM
OK...........stay focused....... not all Hondas ......`85 or`86 Honda ATC 250R ......or if you must TRX 250R `86 thru `88 .....period ...nada mass buay :lol::lol: ..........actually i don`t blame Honda or any other manufacture for fackin their customers ........just look at all the dumb arse law suits :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for what ?..... making something different then a dirt bike ? I`m not real fond of Kawasuckme ether ......but i have one ;);) i will say i love me some nikasil jugs :naughty::naughty: so from the day in `84 when Honda announced the water pumper 250r ......i had to have it......and since then ......i never wanted anything else :lol::lol: ......and when i go to the dunes and i happened to see a trike ........it`s always Honda's awesome 250R ......why? .......because all the others are sitting at home wit dare fecked up problems .......do you want me to buy you one and deliver it next time you`re at the dunes ????? ......gimme your TRI-Z frame so i can stuff a Banshee mil in it and a +10 swingarm .....Buwhahahaha .....cabrone :lol::cool::lol::cool::lol::cool::lol::cool:

What does a stockish running R sell for out West?

ZacH_GrifF
06-12-2017, 09:01 AM
What's funny is here in MS, where a cheeseburger is $6, you cant find a for sale add for less than $4000. I've seen em listed as high as $6k. I wish people would stop trying to make a buck on three wheelers and just let people enjoy em. If you wanna sell ATV's at dealer prices, go be a salesman at dealer and sell new bikes.

oldskool83
06-12-2017, 09:36 AM
I have a case id sell, it's a spare I don't really want. Right side crank

RIDE-RED 250r
06-12-2017, 05:10 PM
How is the ol' KTM/Tri-Z these days Nico?? Haven't seen that beauty in a spell... :)

I wasn't aware that the Z had long and short rod engines... Interesting.

My brother in law MIGHT have a few Tri-Z parts kicking around but I don't think he logs in here much any more. I'll shoot him a text and ask.

El Camexican
06-12-2017, 06:32 PM
How is the ol' KTM/Tri-Z these days Nico?? Haven't seen that beauty in a spell... :)

I wasn't aware that the Z had long and short rod engines... Interesting.

My brother in law MIGHT have a few Tri-Z parts kicking around but I don't think he logs in here much any more. I'll shoot him a text and ask.

Good to see you on here Joe! :beer

As far as I know the long rod engines were nothing more than 490 rods on the Tri-Z crank and spacer plates under the cylinder to suit the additional length. My understanding is that Yamaha sold them through dealers at one point and when they stopped Cometic offered them for a while longer. I’ve seen them on eBay, but not for a while now. I’ve talked to a guy back home that raced quads at the time the Tri-Z’s were being converted with kits and they said the local Yamaha dealer had an untouchable Tri-Z that was running this kit. I’ve seen them mentioned in other articles as well. I suspect this was part of the third Wrench Report mod mentioned at the end of the II article that I have yet to find and doubt was ever published.

I took the trike out to the Imperial Invasion this winter and had a blast, but the trike had issues. First of all I went out there with a lightened flywheel, a big no no as I soon discovered. The next issue was some sort of electrical/fuel gremlin that would come and go at random. Craziest thing and very evasive. Made jetting impossible. I ended up ordering a new stator, CF reeds and I’m line for one of John’s top mount tanks which I plan to set up in conjunction with my pressurized tank.

The idea is to gravity feed the carb from the top mount tank, but have the stocker set up so that I can fill the top mount tank via the fuel pump. I don’t know it that will be a on the fly process, or a park and idle thing, but I’ll figure it out when the parts are in hand. Should fill pretty quick as the pump puts out something like 9 gallons per hour.

The good news is that every once in a while it ran like a raped ape for a minute or two at a time, so the problem isn’t my pipe, port timing or some other semi-permanent flaw, whatever’s wrong can be fixed.

Regardless of this I still want to build something else and lucked into a cheap bottom end that came with an un-cracked clutch cover a while back, so I have a base to experiment with. If all goes well I’ll show up at the dunes next year with a spare bullet in the back of the truck.

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/USA%20Phone%20Feb.%202017%20243_zps4knbf3xz.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/USA%20Phone%20Feb.%202017%20243_zps4knbf3xz.jpg.ht ml)

El Camexican
06-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Duplicolor cast iron grey engine paint. Closest thing to KTM I could find, all my KTM engines get a coat. There is a stainless steel color paint that some buddies of mine do their four-cylinder drag racing engines in, but you have to buy a case of it and it's like 50 bucks a can. I would love to get my hands on a few cans, nicest engine color I have ever seen.

Oh, and the head is anodized orange too :)

RIDE-RED 250r
06-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Well, brother in law got back to me. He sold all of his Tri-Z stuff when he went hybrid. Sorry bud, no luck there. :(

I still swing in here at least once a day most times, I just haven't been posting alot lately.