PDA

View Full Version : Storing Trike on End--Beware

christph
05-28-2017, 11:52 PM
This is a heads up for those who store their trikes on end. It's one of those things that I should have foreseen and got burned. So, I put a new seat cover on my Tri-Z. The upholsterer did a great job. I also noticed that one of the fork legs on my Z was leaking oil a bit but it didn't seem that bad. Well, time passed and I ended up storing my Z on end. Turns out that fork oil dripped on the seat and stained it permanently. Now I'm going to have to buy another cover and get it upholstered again. Anyway, lesson learned. You may want to check your forks for leaks before you store your machine on end.

El Camexican
05-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Never done it simply because the oil from the crankcase on my YTM ends up in the air box if I stand it up, but in the case of a Tri Z I would have never thought something like a leaky fork would cause a problem. Duly noted.

christph
05-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Here's a picture. This is what happens when fork oil drips on a seat cover and sits over time. You can see where it ran down the side and puddled at the bottom. I've tried several cleaners and it is not coming out.

El Camexican
05-29-2017, 07:51 AM
I'll bet that lever works smooth as silk :)

fabiodriven
05-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Stain the whole seat bud. Problem solved.

350for350
05-29-2017, 07:17 PM
I've also had air pockets form in the front brakes too. On my SX with a 200x front end, it worked itself out after a 180 mile ride in the back of my truck. On my 350x, I just comlpetely bled the front and rear brakes since I'd never done it. I haven't had this problem when stored front end high, like on the rear of another trike or quad, only when stored all the way up with the back of the trike completely on the ground instead of just the tires.

BOB MARLIN
05-30-2017, 08:49 AM
I bought a 250r a while back that the previous owner had sat a container of oil on the seat and it did the same thing. Never did get the stain out.

shindig
05-30-2017, 12:51 PM
I recently had my 200X seat re-done by Cosmic Quads, looked perfect for about a month, then my weed eater, which was sitting above my trike on two brackets leaked some oil/gas onto the seat...still pissed about it. I can't have anything nice. :(

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2017, 06:42 PM
^ I feel your pain!!

captainweezy
05-30-2017, 11:52 PM
I bought a 250r a while back that the previous owner had sat a container of oil on the seat and it did the same thing. Never did get the stain out.

I know how that goes. About 10 days ago I got a terrible stain in my underwear. Right near the rear. Could not get it out. I guess I never really tried though. I just threw them in the trash can. RIP Hanes:(

El Camexican
05-31-2017, 07:51 AM
I know how that goes. About 10 days ago I got a terrible stain in my underwear. Right near the rear. Could not get it out. I guess I never really tried though. I just threw them in the trash can. RIP Hanes:(

That's the shitz

BOB MARLIN
05-31-2017, 08:54 AM
The stain on my seat wasn't a stripe, it was more oblong.

captainweezy
05-31-2017, 10:49 AM
The stain on my seat wasn't a stripe, it was more oblong.

Let me tell ya this thing wasn't a stripe. Unfortunately there were several to witness. :D
I guess I had a pretty good run. I'm 39 and it had been a long time since that had happened.

3 Wheel Drive
05-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Try Oxyclean, I bought a white & silver jersey a few years ago and stained it badly with grease. I thought it was there forever, my gf washed it with Oxyclean & it looks like new!

The stain was there for weeks before she saw it and washed it out.

ezmoney1979
06-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Try Oxyclean, I bought a white & silver jersey a few years ago and stained it badly with grease. I thought it was there forever, my gf washed it with Oxyclean & it looks like new!

The stain was there for weeks before she saw it and washed it out.

Hi! Billy Mays here!