PDA

View Full Version : Portable tachometer????

Buechse_Germany
02-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi guys me again!

Just finished my 83`200X Project... gotta do some fine tuning on it but its ready to ride now...finally...

Ok heres the problem: I just got to the tune up section in my Clymer manual and they tell about a "portable tachometer" when adjusting cam chain... so...what is this? where can i get one...and uhm where does that conect? ( i think it`s a thing to sense the rpm of the machine, if it is so are there any "tachometers" wich i can use when i ride it to? (like odometer))

Peter from Germany

P.S.: i will post some pics of my (now) ultra cool 200X tomorrow....

hondaATCman
02-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes, a tachometer registers the RPM of the machine. I'm not to sure on how to hook them up but I'm pretty sure you somehow connect it into the stator and into something else and it will give you a true rpm reading. Someone else on here should be able to tell you how to install it.

Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com) has some portable digital tachs with an hour meter on it too that mounts on your machine. I don't think there is one for the 200x but I may be wrong...I only remember seeing them for newer model ATV's.

KASEY
02-08-2004, 02:02 PM
i have a portable tach,, its a hand held guage witha rubber tip that you hold right on the end of the crank ,,, made by stewart warner ,,,, works great,,

dz
02-08-2004, 02:12 PM
I think you can get them on ebay or northern tools, I know they have them for the smaller briggs engines which work by vibration? on the head. They also have an hour meter.

double d
02-08-2004, 03:02 PM
the portable tach consists of the handheld tach meter and reflective tape that goes on the flywheel. when the engine is running point the meter at the flywheel and when it sees the reflective tape the meter will give you the revolutions per minute. hope that helps!

350x'inNY
02-08-2004, 09:07 PM
I have a couple 350X Hondaline tachometers.... not sure if they made them for 200X's or not. (NOT for sale!)

Bruce

bbechtel16
02-09-2004, 08:23 PM
The portable shop type tachs I've seen go around the spark plug wire or against it and measures RPM by sensing the spark pulse.