PDA

View Full Version : 200x Swingarm Skidplate Mounts

wonderboy
05-04-2017, 10:51 AM
It seems every 84/85 200x swingarm i look at (including the ones I have) have missing skid plate mounts. Was this a really weak design, or did Honda for some reason not use them for a certain period of time (did all 84/85 200x get a swingarm skidplate)? It seems that the swingarms I see for sale on e-bay look VERY similar to the one I have (sorry no pics right now, I'll post it tonight) where there are two small tabs of metal at each mount location, but nothing else.

Anybody have any nice techniques for fabbing up the necessary mount to replace the missing ones?

oldskool83
05-04-2017, 01:08 PM
That's because they are folded sheet metal and rip off. Just make a sprocket guard and go about your day. Skid plates just chew up more space.

Dirtcrasher
05-04-2017, 04:49 PM
I used 3/16th steel and drilled thru to the other side that I welded a nut on. I changed their 3 bolt setup to a 4 bolt.

Easy bracket to make. That's how I got a PRM skid plate for a 350X to fit on my 86 200X; I think it's pictured and explained in my "20 day build" thread...

oldskool83
05-04-2017, 05:52 PM
photos for people who do not under stand what a sprocket guard is. I only run them and i bash all kind of rocks. I have one on my raptor also. i used 3/8" aluminum one off a trx450r and drilled new holes. if you have a vise and a drill and can think out side the box your golden. I have modified swing arms do only protect the rotor with steel...it works easy if you got a welder also.

wonderboy
05-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Great info guys, I appreciate it! I really is amazing how weak the mount must have been. I think I found maybe one on e-bay that wasn't ripped off... I haven't figured which way I want to go with the swingarm I've got, but I appreciate the info on my options. I wasn't aware of the sprocket guard concept, but that makes a lot of sense. DC: I'm off to go look up your build thread to look at how you used the 350x skidplate.

Thanks guys!

oldskool83
05-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Years ago I cut up a 400ex skid plate has a guy weld round mounts to swinger and bolted it on, however I never had any ground clearance, that's when I went to sprocket guards since I've bent .250" skid plates up against sprockets. I've done most bikes for $70 for sprocket guards. MAN makes a nice alumi I'm one, lsr makes a junk sst one thats too thin. Good luck